General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JayCee9
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 20:30:44
Print Post

Anyone have an Asus DSL-AC68U working happily BT Infinity 2?

[link to this post]

I have a thread a little further down on this forum re replacing my BT Homehub 5 on BT Infinity 2 Fibre with this Asus DSL-AC68U VDSL modem/router and what looks like a fault on my line, I'm currently waiting on an engineer visit (or phone call from BT/Openreach) and hopefully a quick return to normal broadband speed...in the meantime...

I'd like to know quickly if anyone has one working quite happily on BT Infinity with no reduction in speed compared to the HH5 as I'd like to return this one to Currys/PC World where I bought it if the answers are overwhelmingly no.

I bought it online 1 week ago with the reserve and collect at a local store and even though I've opened and used it (I still have the box and all that was supplied with it) I'd like to return it under the distance selling regulations if it turns out to be unsuitable.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Mar-15 20:43:45
Print Post

Re: Anyone have an Asus DSL-AC68U working happily BT Infinit

[re: JayCee9] [link to this post]

Haven't had a HH5 to compare it to but I have one working fine on Aquiss / Entanet.

Mike
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sun 08-Mar-15 22:38:17
Print Post

I've had the DSL-AC68U since it was released and it works just fine, once Asus released better firmware after a few weeks. Bought an HH5 to try out and to keep as a possible backup and found it atrocious on wireless with my iPhone/iPads. Couldn't get more than about 11/15Mbps down on either device. Tried all the usual tricks, but never improved. Got the Asus and straight away up to around 60Mbps using 5Ghz 802.11ac. Sold it on eBay within a week. And the wireless performance is what BT promote it on. Pile of cack IMHO.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User michty_me
(member) Sun 15-Mar-15 04:27:22
Print Post

I would be careful with the DSL-AC68U. Some lines it appears stable but if you look at the likes of Overclockers forums and Kitz, There are huge threads of issues with the Asus device. An Asus employee has actually joined the OC forums to try and sort the issues out. Issues appear to be that it is reporting massive errors for some people resulting in resync, line profile drops and general instability.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18...

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14399.300
Standard User barryptt
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 18:54:31
Print Post

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

Yes, - Seems to work well and stable. I am on infinity 2 - for those out of loop that is slow infinity - i.e. on a 40mbs loop but best most of us get is 15mbs or so. (Infinity 1 is 80mbs+)
I want to give it a while longer before finally commenting on router choice but happy so far. Range much better than HH5
I was running an apple MacExtreme (DSL only) via the open reach vsdl box, Mac performed well but open reach kept loosing speed. Hoping the inbuilt vsdl router here will be more stable, even if not faster. However may unfortunately rest with BT exchange.
The HH5 is complete pants, very unstable, particularly for busy households with phones / iPads etc. If you have more than 5 or 6 connecting it is worth getting rid of. That cured wifi drop outs - as common as the adverts on UTV. For those considering -
If you want to use it is easy to set up as long as you have new firmware - I believe version 07 is the latest. Download firmware using your old system first, plug in router and update. Then go through quick connect wizard and all works. Setup Problems- 1) If you have old firmware you probably will not get the internet working but everything else appears to work.2) If you get Annex A or B you have not got your modem cable properly plugged in. DSL light needs to be on.
For Homehub 5 use bthomehub@btbroadband.com , simply put a space for password.
Standard User michty_me
(member) Sun 10-May-15 19:03:50
Print Post

[re: barryptt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by barryptt:
Yes, - Seems to work well and stable. I am on infinity 2 - for those out of loop that is slow infinity - i.e. on a 40mbs loop but best most of us get is 15mbs or so. (Infinity 1 is 80mbs+)
I want to give it a while longer before finally commenting on router choice but happy so far. Range much better than HH5
I was running an apple MacExtreme (DSL only) via the open reach vsdl box, Mac performed well but open reach kept loosing speed. Hoping the inbuilt vsdl router here will be more stable, even if not faster. However may unfortunately rest with BT exchange.
The HH5 is complete pants, very unstable, particularly for busy households with phones / iPads etc. If you have more than 5 or 6 connecting it is worth getting rid of. That cured wifi drop outs - as common as the adverts on UTV. For those considering -
If you want to use it is easy to set up as long as you have new firmware - I believe version 07 is the latest. Download firmware using your old system first, plug in router and update. Then go through quick connect wizard and all works. Setup Problems- 1) If you have old firmware you probably will not get the internet working but everything else appears to work.2) If you get Annex A or B you have not got your modem cable properly plugged in. DSL light needs to be on.
For Homehub 5 use bthomehub@btbroadband.com , simply put a space for password.

I have just purchased one of these units second hand.
What is deemed the best way to set this up? Flash latest firmware, Reset and re-enter the ISP details?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-May-15 19:04:36
Print Post

[re: barryptt] [link to this post]

You seem to be a bit mixed up there.

Not only is the thread two months old, but "I am on infinity 2 - for those out of loop that is slow infinity - i.e. on a 40mbs loop but best most of us get is 15mbs or so. (Infinity 1 is 80mbs+)" is simply wrong. The exact opposite is the case.

Infinity 1 is "up to 38Mbps" and Infinity 2 "up to 78Mbps".

If you are getting 15Mbps actual on Infinity 2 I suggest you start looking for the problem. Unless you are a very long way from the cabinet.

Which brings us to a minor point. "However may unfortunately rest with BT exchange". FTTC connections are with the cabinet and are not affected at all by the exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User barryptt
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 20:15:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes Robert, sorry quite right - got the 1 and 2 of infinity wrong way around. Apologies if caused confusion to anyone However not the purpose of the post.

The age of a post is however irrelevant as most people come across them, as I did, by searching in Google. Info is still info and there is very little useful info out there on that router and use of BT infinity.

With regard the exchange - Do not know why in the age of "no throttling " and "great signal on your line" that BT speeds are still so variable. Have been told by a few engineers that it is something to do with switch hubs at the exchange. Not sure how reliable that is - but often unguarded comments convey truth
Must be some reason that you can get 10mbs swings on a line - but no one ever wants to come clean. If you have any knowledge please share. Fed up with the poor internet most of us have to live with if we do not live in a city.
Standard User mabibby
(regular) Sun 10-May-15 20:34:45
Print Post

I've had terrible issues with line stability even after upgrading the firmware accordingly.

I guess it's hit and miss. My line has been spot on after putting a HG612 modem in the modem.

PlusNET - 35/11 @ 1km FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to