General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-15 09:55:12
Print Post

Unable to order an advertised service

[link to this post]

In my search for a new home, seeing what the predictive speeds for broadband would be is important to me especially as my search is in semi rural areas . So seeing that a new apartment was prewired for FTTP was just the ticket.

However an enquiry to get a service up and running has produced this response: BT have recently suspended FTTP on Demand, so we are unable to supply the service for you. Unfortunately I am unable to advise when this service will become available.

So why does the availability checker show the service is available when it can't be ordered?
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:01:44
Print Post

Re: Unable to order an advertised service

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

What's the postcode?

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:23:04
Print Post

An apartment that is pre-wired for FTTP is NOT a Fibre on Demand product, but a native GEA-FTTP (WBC-FTTP on the BT Wholesale checker).

A postcode so we can see what is actually rolled out and available will help, a good chance ISP is confused.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:40:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
An apartment that is pre-wired for FTTP is NOT a Fibre on Demand product, but a native GEA-FTTP (WBC-FTTP on the BT Wholesale checker).

A postcode so we can see what is actually rolled out and available will help, a good chance ISP is confused.

We are talking about cab FARNHAM 22.

The results from the checker is shown here:
http://www.cyberpictures.net/tb/fttp.jpg
I note that WBC-FTTP is not shown, why would that be? So what has been preinstalled there?

Enquiry made to Zen because they are my existing broadband supplier.
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:43:16
Print Post

"a new apartment was prewired for FTTP ". The word "prewired" is bothering me. Are you sure this isn't just "marketing" by whoever is selling the flats? I could prewire my house for FTTP, it doesn't mean that someone is going to roll up and provide the service.

John
Standard User ip75
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:48:31
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

That address only has FTTC available. The exchange area also has FTTPoD available, but not pure FTTP. FTTPoD is currently on hold and not being sold (and it's currently hugely expensive when it is).
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:59:50
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JHo1:
"a new apartment was prewired for FTTP ". The word "prewired" is bothering me. Are you sure this isn't just "marketing" by whoever is selling the flats? I could prewire my house for FTTP, it doesn't mean that someone is going to roll up and provide the service.

John

Next to the Master Socket there is a black box about the size of an A4 sheet of paper which has FTTP marked on it. I don't have access to the apartment right now to give photographic evidence but if you could point me to some pictures of the type of equipment installed in the home I could probably identify it from memory. I looked at other apartments on this development and each has one of these boxes installed.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:00:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In my search for a new home, seeing what the predictive speeds for broadband would be is important to me especially as my search is in semi rural areas . So seeing that a new apartment was prewired for FTTP was just the ticket.

Are you saying that this is a new-build, with the developer telling you that it has been pre-wired for FTTP?

Or have you made this assumption because you saw the FTTP-on-demand product on the DSL checker?

As others have said, the area is natively an FTTC one, so wouldn't have the simple, native GEA FTTP products available. In existing properties, you can only order FTTC, and have been able to do so since April 2011.

In such circumstances, FTTP-on-demand is being rolled out as an alternative - but is priced for businesses, with £thousands for installation and £hundreds per month, minimum 3 years.

However, if the apartment is new-build, it could certainly be true that the developer has organised a pre-installation of FTTP with Openreach. This would go beyond our understanding of the norm, and would probably not show on the DSL checker yet either.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:03:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Next to the Master Socket there is a black box about the size of an A4 sheet of paper which has FTTP marked on it.

It might not be FTTP by Openreach.

This is the Openreach Developer's Guide. The kind of equipment they use for FTTP internally can be seen from page 26 onwards.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/network/develop...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:27:00
Print Post

I'm not aware of any FTTP sites in Farnham. Maybe the developer was just 'future proofing' the flats.

Seen similar in Maidenhead. The builders provide a two fibre ruggedised lead in cable to each flat from from an MDU DP elsewhere in the building.

As has been seen many times on here, FTTP is a sod to order and or get installed, time someone upped their game in this respect.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to