General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:50:22
Print Post

Low fibre estimate?

[link to this post]

Hey folks

Much to my surprise not long after our exchange was fibre enabled they built 3 new pairs of cabinets to service exchange only lines. It's taken a while but our cabinet (cabinet 6) has finally been activated. The fibre estimate to my whole street seems low though (between 9 and 15 Mbps for me, lower than my current ADSL2+ sync of 16.2). My brother has been hooked up to the same cabinet and lives just round the corner and his estimate is between 52.9 and 79.6 which is much faster than his current sync of ~17Mbps.

Edit: When I entered my number into TalkTalks website just now to see about upgrading they estimated between 5 and 12 Mbps blush

Here is my estimate (well it's my next door neighbours, I'm with TalkTalk so this page doesn't work for me, my side of the street all get similar stats though): http://abload.de/img/fibre25huzn.png

This is my brothers estimate: http://abload.de/img/fibre135umq.png

Here my current line stats if that helps:

Sync Speed 16196 kbps Down 1019 kbps Up
Attenuation 16.5 Down 5.8 Up

I live in the low numbers on the even numbered side of my street. The odd numbered side of the street is serviced by a different cabinet (cabinet 5) and the higher numbers in the street are served by a different cabinet again (cabinet 2). Both cabinet 2 and cabinet 5 give much larger speed estimates than cabinet 6 for the same street, it's odd :/

With all this info does 9-15 Mbps sound right or are BT estimating a lower speed than I'd get? I've been looking forward to fibre for ages but I'm hesitant to order it if there's a chance it'll be slower than my current connection.

Cheers in advance for any help/info! smile

Edited by Findlay (Tue 10-Mar-15 12:32:57)

Standard User ip75
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:01:08
Print Post

Re: Low fibre estimate?

[re: Findlay] [link to this post]

Downstream attenuation on ADSL is a good guide to line length. Since you and your brother are connected to the same cabinet, and his estimate is much higher than yours, he should have a lower attenuation than you if the estimate is accurate. Can you post your brother's downstream attenuation?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:03:04
Print Post

Initial thoughts are that the cable may run totally differently for the two sides of the street. However, given the similarities of ADSL2+ speeds that might not be the case.

There is a very good chance it is an error. What are the approximate distances to the cabinet and exchange?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:05:43
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ip75:
and his estimate is much higher than yours,

The ADSL estimate are identical, the ADSL2+ are very close. 1Mbps difference in 20Mbps - I would not class that as "much higher"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ip75
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:07:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I meant his FTTC estimate

Edit to clarify: If we know the difference in their attenuation on ADSL, then we know the difference in their line lengths..

Edited by ip75 (Tue 10-Mar-15 11:09:32)

Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:32:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by ip75:
Downstream attenuation on ADSL is a good guide to line length. Since you and your brother are connected to the same cabinet, and his estimate is much higher than yours, he should have a lower attenuation than you if the estimate is accurate. Can you post your brother's downstream attenuation?

I'm not sure what his attenuation is and he'll have no idea how to find it on his Home Hub haha, I'll try to check next time I'm round smile

In reply to a post by MHC:
Initial thoughts are that the cable may run totally differently for the two sides of the street. However, given the similarities of ADSL2+ speeds that might not be the case.

There is a very good chance it is an error. What are the approximate distances to the cabinet and exchange?

The new cabinets are just outside the exchange which is about 200m from my house as the crow flies, Google says the length of the streets to my house is 620m.

Edited by Findlay (Tue 10-Mar-15 15:00:53)

Standard User ip75
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:40:36
Print Post

Ah, OK, so if your new cabinet is outside the exchange then your current line length to the exchange is a good indication of the line length to the cabinet. For an attenuation of 16dB you're looking at about 1.2km of line to the exchange, and thus slightly less than that to the new cabinet.

Based on that distance, for VDSL, I think the estimate looks about right.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:43:09
Print Post

In theory can figure it all out, but would need the addresses of the two properties, and just round the corner if its 400-500m makes a big difference to VDSL2.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Findlay
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:45:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In theory can figure it all out, but would need the addresses of the two properties, and just round the corner if its 400-500m makes a big difference to VDSL2.

Just around the corner is a minutes walk laugh I can pm you the addresses if you like? Not really comfortable posting my exact address online.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:56:50
Print Post

About to deal with my inbox ones for other queries so its the right time to PM them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to