General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrBC
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 13:03:49
Print Post

BTW Checker Error?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Quick question: is there any way to contact BT Wholesale regarding a possible error in their availability checker database?

The reason why I think there's an error is a bit more wordy. I'm on the Kilmacolm exchange and in the past whenever I've put my address into the BT Wholesale checker is has come back that I'm connected via cabinet 2, same for all the nearby streets - from what I can tell cabinet 2 seems to serve this half of the village, cabinet 1 the other half.

At the end of last year the Digital Scotland people announced we would be getting FTTC in the first half of this year. When they put up their own checker page it concurred with BTW: I'm on cabinet 2 and would be able to order FTTC when it is installed.

Contractors working for Openreach have now turned up and started excavating next to cabinet 2. So hoping for perhaps a firm date when FTTC will be available I put my address into the DS checker... and apparently I'm now on an EO line! The BTW checker also no longer has any reference to cabinet 2.

This is also the case for all 4 addresses in my building and 2 of the 4 addresses in the neighbouring building, even though all the lines run to the same pole. (can't check phone numbers as my line is full TTB LLU and everyone I know on my street is also either with TT or Sky).

So you can see why I'm hopeful this is just a DB error, and one I'd like to get sorted before having to fight the 'computer says NO' attitude of ISPs when trying to order fibre.

Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Mar-15 13:08:57
Print Post

Re: BTW Checker Error?

[re: DrBC] [link to this post]

I'd wait until the cabinet is live and ready to order before chasing up, the databases are fluid and hopefully final checks as cabinet goes live will resolve this issue for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DrBC
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 18:21:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will live in hope then smile

I've just spoken to someone who lives not 100ft from the cabinet and they're getting the same issue, line now being reported as EO when it wasn't before. Fingers crossed it'll get sorted out for everyone.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrBC
(learned) Mon 25-May-15 10:38:32
Print Post

Just to update - cabinet 2 has now gone live and FTTC availability has shown up on the BT checker.

Unfortunately the error persists; myself and a couple of my immediate neighbours who were previously shown as being on cab 2 are indicated as being on EO lines, while others (who live in buildings constructed at the same time and whose phone lines run to the same pole on the street) can now order FTTC.

What's the best course of action now?
Standard User Cammy
(regular) Mon 25-May-15 16:01:17
Print Post

I assume you are somewhere near the cross? As you say, there are only 2 cabinets for the whole village (BTW Cabinet 1 looks like it is nearly ready too) but, according to this some of the EO lines near the cross may be getting FTTP soon.

Are you able to see if your postcode is one of the lucky ones?

Edited by Cammy (Mon 25-May-15 16:04:44)

Standard User DrBC
(learned) Mon 25-May-15 16:41:35
Print Post

[re: Cammy] [link to this post]

I'm actually at the beginning of Oldhall Drive.

I know there are some EO lines serving premises at the Cross, makes sense since the exchange is so close there. But I'm seriously not convinced my line is EO - it used to show up on the checker as connected to cabinet 2, and the only BT ducting here runs down Woodrow Avenue and then takes a left toward cab 2.
Standard User DrBC
(regular) Tue 26-May-15 11:36:41
Print Post

Possibly found a way around this. I have a family member who lives just round the corner and can order FTTC; getting a new line run in there with FTTC and accessing it via a fixed point-to-point wireless link seems viable. It's only 30m or so with clear line of sight. But it's going to cost around £250 for the wireless hardware and associated bits and will be a major faff to install, so obviously that's the plan of last resort.

Any suggestions for an ISP (A&A, maybe?) that could be persuaded to take a fibre order on my existing line and get an engineer sent out to try it? Or alternatively order a new line plus FTTC, with the proviso that the whole order gets cancelled if the fibre install isn't possible?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-May-15 11:54:08
Print Post

What/who is in the way of the link?

Have you considered finding a way to run an external Cat5e/Cat6 cable? Cheaper and more reliable that radio.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrBC
(regular) Tue 26-May-15 14:29:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

A neighbour's garden is in the way and unfortunately they're very unlikely to let me dig even a small trench for a cable. It's possible I could get away with stringing some cat6 overhead, but it would have to be at roof height and these are two storey buildings, so mounting it would be a pain. Shame I can't just hire a mini tunnel boring machine, that would be convenient smile

I have to admit while I've worked in IT for over 20 years I'm not a cabling guy and issues like electrical potential difference between the two buildings are way out of my comfort zone, whereas I've used this sort of wireless kit (Ubiquiti M5, specifically) multiple times with very good results.
Standard User Nightglow
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 14:48:23
Print Post

Moling,simple solution,you can hire a 'Grundomat Moles',brilliant kit, used one to lay a new water main.
No intrustion to your neighbour's garden, just need to put cable down deep.

http://www.speedyservices.com/08_2500-h-mole-45mm

Edited by Nightglow (Tue 26-May-15 16:10:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to