General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DannoUK
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-15 21:53:46
Print Post

Swainsthorpe Exchange (EASWN)

[link to this post]

Hi,

Can anyone shed any light into whats is happening regarding fibre in Newton Flotman, Norfolk please?

Let me fill you in on some details first...

The Swainsthorpe exchange is bizarrely located right in the middle of the village of Newton Flotman in Norfolk (NOT in the village of Swainsthorpe). Every house i have checked in Newton Flotman appears to be on an EO line.

The exchange is definately fibre enabled as the surrounding villages are able to get fibre from their cabinets connected to this exchange.

Openreach have installed twin cabinets right outside the exchange and another pair at the end of St Mary's Road and according to roadworks.org both sets of cabinets have had power connected.

Can anyone tell me when these cabinets are due to go live please? I'm assuming at some point we will all be moved from EO lines to the new cabinets.

Also, is it possible to tell which cabinet NR15 1QX may end up on (the one outside the exchange or the other one)?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dan
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Tue 10-Mar-15 23:12:20
Print Post

Re: Swainsthorpe Exchange (EASWN)

[re: DannoUK] [link to this post]

First of all - sorry, I don't know the answer.

The thing is, that EO rearrangements usually take longer than a PCP getting a fibre twin, before going "live" - the rearrangement of all the copper is simply far more "awkward" than just plonking a DSLAM there and then connecting it across to the PCP. Lots of people are reporting the long time taken and/or lack of activity after new PCPs and DSLAMs have been physically installed for EO rearrangements. It's actually happening where I live, two new PCPs and DSLAMs were physically installed and apparently had work to connect power to them in November, but they're not active yet. The PCPs haven't even got numbers painted on them, even though Roadworks.org was naming them as PCPs 16 and 17 back when they first went in.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Wed 11-Mar-15 02:45:53
Print Post

Well the EO Lines according to my sources are down to be moved over to PCP Cabinets 5 and 6.

As for your postcode NR15 1QX , approx. 91% for cabinet 5 and 8% for cabinet 6.

Now the dates, this is tricky due to my sources have often got these dates wrong.
Cabinet: 5
Fibre Phase: Phase BDUK Norfolk 13a
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 13th August 2014)

Cabinet: 6
Fibre Phase: Phase BDUK Norfolk 13a
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 13th August 2014)
Seems there is a lot of stuff happening for the end of the month (according to posts) so you might be lucky, just don't put your hopes up due to these dates can be delayed.

I also did a speed check while looking up your postcode:
Exchange Name: Swainsthorpe
Exchange Code: EASWN
County: Norfolk

Cabinet: None (EO Line)
Fibre Phase: None
Fibre Information: Not Available
Result Count: 77
EO Blocks Usage (approximate): 2 (14%), 5 (4%), 6 (81%)

[NR15 1QX]
Has 77 result(s) connected to an EO (Exchange Only) line with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 7.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 4.5 to 11.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Sorry I couldn't help with the dates.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DannoUK
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-15 13:32:04
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for looking Paul.... some interesting info there.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the end of the month and keep an eye on the dslchecker.

Kind Regards
Dan
Standard User DannoUK
(newbie) Tue 19-May-15 22:44:38
Print Post

Hi again guys.

Just wondering if anyone in the know could give any update on what is happening with cabinets 5 and 6 on the Swainsthorpe (EASWN) exchange?

As Paul had correctly mentioned back in March, everyone on EO lines was moved to these 2 cabinets about a week later but no other activity seems to have taken place.

Roadworks.org mentioned power works for both cabinets about 2-3 months back and there is evidence of the road//verge having been dug up. I have tried to have a listen to cabinet 6 which doesn't sound like it's powered up - doesn't help that its right by a main road. As for cabinet 5 (the one i'm now connected to), it is located in the exchange grounds so can't get near that one.

Our BDUK site is pretty misleading in that it states the end of June in one place and the end of Sept in another.

Anyone able to see if BTOR have any updates?

Kind Regards
Dan
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 20-May-15 00:23:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by DannoUK:
Hi again guys.

Just wondering if anyone in the know could give any update on what is happening with cabinets 5 and 6 on the Swainsthorpe (EASWN) exchange?

As Paul had correctly mentioned back in March, everyone on EO lines was moved to these 2 cabinets about a week later but no other activity seems to have taken place.

Roadworks.org mentioned power works for both cabinets about 2-3 months back and there is evidence of the road//verge having been dug up. I have tried to have a listen to cabinet 6 which doesn't sound like it's powered up - doesn't help that its right by a main road. As for cabinet 5 (the one i'm now connected to), it is located in the exchange grounds so can't get near that one.

Our BDUK site is pretty misleading in that it states the end of June in one place and the end of Sept in another.

Anyone able to see if BTOR have any updates?

Kind Regards
Dan
Just found the following:
New areas announced for better services by June

Further areas of Norfolk have now been announced as areas which will have their broadband services upgraded as part of the BBfN project.

Before the end of June 2015, parts of the following areas should get access and will be able to request new broadband packages from their own or other broadband providers:
  • Acle
  • Aldborough
  • Brancaster
  • Castle Rising
  • Chedgrave
  • Dersingham
  • East Rudham
  • East Ruston
  • Fakenham
  • Feltwell
  • Framlingham
  • Earl