General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Wed 11-Mar-15 10:25:59
Print Post

Fastest Speedtest Site

[link to this post]

Before I post my FTTPoD experience, I am trying to resolve a speed issue. Can anyone confirm whether the thinkbroadband and/or BT Wholesale speed tests can do very fast speeds (above 100mbps). The thinkbroadband graphic tops out at 100mbps and the chart shows me results a bit above is but marginal.

Thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Mar-15 10:58:39
Print Post

Re: Fastest Speedtest Site

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

The dial is just a graphic, we can set that to 10,000 Mbps if you want.

What is important is the underlying tester, and yes we can go well beyond 100 Mbps, above 350 Mbps then the browser and/or flash version you are using can be an issue. Above around 500 Mbps then even with Gigabit Ethernet not all PC hardware can cope.

If you are using wireless then don't, while 802.11ac may push 200 Mbps it will be very variable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Wed 11-Mar-15 11:03:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Great - thank you. I was on a wired gigabit Ethernet connection. I am also trying to run multiple speed tests at the same time from different computers on the network to ensure it is nothing to do with the computers either. I have been lent a router which is definitely capable of the speed so it can't be that either. If my multiple simultaneous speed tests don't solve the problem, it looks like I will be going back to BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Mar-15 11:38:37
Print Post

You may find http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html also useful, as these can help to rule out flash or browser issues.

An important point, some speed test results may add up to faster than your connection speed if you simply add multiple results together and will depend on which test you are using, as there are different testing methodologies that exist.

The load from multiple speed tests on your router from multiple computers may be a bottle neck, hence linking you to the speed test file page.

Suspect BT will quote the 40 Mbps CIR over the 330 Mbps service, and suggest more tests are done off peak.

If you are getting under 150 Mbps from our tests then something is seriously wrong, since the VM cable customers on fastest product happily test with no issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Mar-15 12:52:55
Print Post

It is always worth having Windows Task Manager running with the Network tab selected. It does give a good overview of what the connection is doing - hard to get an accurate value however it will be in the right ballpark. Similarly, some modems/routers also have a very basic monitor which will show the aggregate level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Mar-15 17:57:14
Print Post

I have successfully tested several 330 and 220 meg FTTP installations using this sites speed tester and found no issues, the same cannot be said of some other sites testers I have used, the one at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk would not show over 15 meg on a 330 circuit, I know it'll do more, it shows me 72meg connection quite accurately.

Not many FTTPoD services out there before the product got put on hold. How long have you had it ?

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Thu 12-Mar-15 08:45:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I had my FTTPoD installed last month (having ordered in January 2014...). I have been running various tests to make sure it wasn't me. My ISP (Andrews & Arnold) have been really, really helpful throughout the whole order process and very kindly lent me a firebrick router so I could confirm it is not my router. They have also confirmed they have not capped the speed on my line. I have sent the details below to them this morning - do you think this is an installation issue?

I tried the following:

1) all computers were always connected with gigabit wired Ethernet

2) both the BTWholesale and thinkbroadband speed tests (and the thinkbroadband download test)

3) I tried my laptop plugged into the firebrick router they lent me and I tried multiple computers connected to a gigabit switch connected to the firebrick (I also tried my new linksys router which I am told can do 330Mbps+ but given I know for certain the firebrick can do the speed, I have focused on this)

4) When I have a single computer (I have tried different computers) running a speed test , I get a download result of between 100-110Mbps

5) I have tried running 2 or 3 simultaneous speed tests and the downloads add up to between 100-120Mbps (presumably slightly higher because my family didn't all click on 'run test' at exactly the same time)

Hopefully A&A can help me solve this but if you have any ideas, please let me know!

Thank you,

Brian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Mar-15 09:12:28
Print Post

The shape of the throughput graph from a speed test can be useful too, so posting the link to your results from our test would be helpful.

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Thu 12-Mar-15 22:52:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is the link to a speedtest I ran this evening - is this what you mean?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Thanks very much
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Mar-15 09:16:05
Print Post

Based on the shape of the download I would say it is not a hardware/software problem under your control, but someone in the Openreach or BT Wholesale departments has added a 110 Mbps product cap to the downloads

Never seen anyone try it, but what does http://speedtest.btwholesale.com show for the IP Profile setting

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 13-Mar-15 09:17:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to