So how can BT get it so wrong? Surely the phone number is the definitive as to whether we can get FTTC or not?
The records in the Openreach database can indeed be wrong - they are only put there by humans, who base the records on what they believe.
We did a similar thing - a house move that we undertook after talking to an Openreach engineer who was working on the cabinet just outside.
When we ordered, there were no entries in the database. 2 days after the order, a survey resulted in records in the checker, confirming we were connected to that cabinet.
When the engineer turned up to do the physical landline work, we traced the existing line (all above ground). It turns out it was actually connected to a DP in the opposite direction, which then connected to a different cabinet.
Because of general problems, it took 2 months to get the voice line working. The records stayed wrong - which meant that any fibre order allocated a port in the wrong cabinet. We eventually got a fibre connection working after 4 months, but it took a lot of effort to get those records changed - even though it only took 2 days to create them (badly) in the first place.
We had engineers galore, all coming for fibre appointments that were never worth starting. Each went back reporting the wrong data in the database.
One of the keys to the problem was to get a "pair prove" done - for this, the engineer was *only* tasked with finding the route of the cable (documenting connections made in the DP, the PCP, and the MDS). The other key was that the order (at BTW) needed to be cancelled and re-done from scratch, so it picked up the new records properly.
Just doesn't make sense why Kelly and Wholesale would say we were connected to P29 and Openreach say we're not.
Human mistakes. The question now, is who is making the mistake? The "pair prove" will help.
Before the engineer left yesterday, he mentioned getting a 1057 booked in for a pair prove. Still waiting for a call from a UG engineer though. Since then the DSLChecker page has changed and says our line is now EO. Is this procedure or does it now mean we're screwed?
That's a good question, but it probably means you are likely to be EO. I found the Openreach engineers who attended to be correct about the equipment on the ground; the problems all came from reflecting that back up the chain.
If you are EO, then you have two possibilities:
- To organise a "copper re-arrangement", where your line is diverted onto cab 29; in reality it would need to be diverted onto an existing DP that is already connected to cab 29, and both would need capacity.
- To discover whether a new cab is being installed outside the exchange, for EO lines. Obviously this would depend on whether your cable gets re-arranged onto that new cabinet.
The best answer would probably be the shortest one. To find out whether the first is feasible, talking to one of the engineers who attends would be best; he will probably know where the "right" DP is located. The latter might be answerable through the local BDUK team.
In our case, re-arrangement onto the "right" DP wasn't possible. It is 10 yards away from being perfect - and visible from the kitchen window - but we couldn't get a cable across those 10 yards.