General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ianm78
(newbie) Sat 14-Mar-15 17:30:27
Print Post

Is fttpod still being deployed ?

[link to this post]

I know it's a huge investment etc. but is fttpod deployment still being carried out by openreach or or they not planning this ?

Is vectoring still the most realistic speed improvement option coming ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Mar-15 17:33:00
Print Post

Re: Is fttpod still being deployed ?

[re: ianm78] [link to this post]

Still on hold - but do to chase to see what's happening

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Mar-15 19:03:19
Print Post

[re: ianm78] [link to this post]

Deployment is ongoing, but only of existing orders. New orders are on hold, to let BT catch up with themselves, because they can't handle the demand - so order times are going well beyond SLA... at least that's what they tell us.

There's probably a matter of trying to keep the BDUK projects on time that is grabbing their engineer's attention too.

Remember that Vectoring isn't a speed gain per se, but it does regain the speeds lost to crosstalk. However, because it seems to be very effective and consistent at achieving that result, it ought to allow the headline package speed to be raised to around 100Mbps.

Once vectoring is in place, then bonding becomes a more viable solution (no crosstalk between your own two lines), even if you have to handle the bonding part yourself.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sat 14-Mar-15 20:14:52
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Deployment is ongoing, but only of existing orders. New orders are on hold, to let BT catch up with themselves, because they can't handle the demand - so order times are going well beyond SLA... at least that's what they tell us.

There's probably a matter of trying to keep the BDUK projects on time that is grabbing their engineer's attention too.

My understanding is that FTTPoD is delivered by the same team who do the ethernet services for businesses so FTTPoD was always deprioritised, hence the long delays. I had heard that the suspension would likely lead to withdrawal of the product but I can't remember who I heard that from and whether it was just speculation.
Standard User dpowell2
(committed) Sun 29-Mar-15 12:19:51
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

The checker for my telephone number is saying FTTP on Demand is available. I wonder how long we'll have to wait until it's available to order again?

Now on Zen
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Sun 29-Mar-15 14:58:55
Print Post

[re: dpowell2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dpowell2:
The checker for my telephone number is saying FTTP on Demand is available. I wonder how long we'll have to wait until it's available to order again?

It might be worth calling Zen every week, they're good with that sort of thing (I was with them for 3 years, not currently though). I realise they don't control the checker but they can probably influence it if a customer calls with relevant information, as can be seen with other cases on here. It seems that often BTW/Openreach don't update it as soon as they can unless they have a "trigger".
  Print Thread

Jump to