General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mygri
(regular) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:20:58
Print Post

From pillar to post?

[link to this post]

Another call for advice...

With the admirable support from TBB, I've finally got FTTP fibre run into our block of 4 flats ( http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4386835-fib... ), and am now contemplating how to get from the CSP to the network cabinet in my flat. It's looking like a fairly tortuous route and my concern is the amount of exposed ducting and ethernet cable needed, plus the not very satisfactory appearance thereof, ie, the ever-present domestic acceptability factor.

While I don't know where the telephone extension lead (bear with me) from the master socket to the network cabinet runs, I'm wondering whether it is possible to route the ethernet signal from the ONT via this to the router. If it is feasible, I realise that there would at best be a significant hit on performance. The lead appears to be CW1308 (two twisted pairs) and I reckon it would be between 20 and 10 metres long.

Any chance this might work?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:24:08
Print Post

Re: From pillar to post?

[re: Mygri] [link to this post]

It isn't an ethernet cable from the CSP to the ONTE, it's a ruggedised fibre.

Standard User Mygri
(regular) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:28:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi Zarjaz,

Sure, but I'm talking about the ethernet output from the ONT and onwards to the router. Any chance?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:30:45
Print Post

Sorry, I had clearly mis-read your post. Is there no way to have the feed to the ONTE run directly to the comms cabinet type thing ?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:32:45
Print Post

It may work but you'd be lucky to see 100Mbps and then you'd have no phone.
I suppose you could send VDSL up it smile

I'm sure white ethernet cable along the wall/ceiling angles or up behind the bannister would be better if the phone cable couldn't be replaced.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Mygri
(regular) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:41:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi BatBoy,

Certainly it would mean sacrificing the phone, but then VOIP ought to be a possibility. Is it possible to get a VDSL signal from an ONT? after all that is the route VDSL from FTTC would take...

White ethernet is definitely feasible - it really comes down to the afore-mentioned domestic acceptibility factor...
Standard User Mygri
(regular) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:48:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It's the routeing thats the problem. The initial easybend run could be into the flat and then the ONT: this is the visually obvious bit as the entrance area is fairly bare and any ducting is going to be very obvious. Once inside the flat, ethernet cable could well be less intrusive.

The advantage of the telephone extension cable is that it's all out of sight.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:52:11
Print Post

No VDSL output from the ONT as standard is NOT available, you would have to use a pair VDSL bridging modems, which can be purchased.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:53:58
Print Post

It isn't good enough to be used as network cable I'm afraid. There will be no ducting provided by the installer, unless you provide it first.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Mar-15 18:58:15
Print Post

The telephone cable which might be decent CW1308 or could be cheapo copper coated aluminium might if lucky manage 100 Mbps, but I'd more expect 10 Mbps. Alas there is no in-between with Ethernet.

White CAT5e is available, just avoid boxes of cable with CCA

Considered a new false wall perhaps just 2 cm proud of existing wall, so that trunking can run inside this i.e. presents a flat visual side, but inside the jumble of trunking exists.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to