General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User poggs
(regular) Fri 20-Mar-15 12:23:40
Print Post

whats the chance of BT installing a new cabinet?

[link to this post]

Fibre went live in my village this month (longniddry - ESLON) There appears to be a whole one cabinet installed and its at the top side of the village.

I get 29.5Mb down and 5.55Mb upload.

So, hey it works but it would be nicer to get a proper connection.

Does anyone know from other similar installs what is the likelihood of BT installing more cabinets going forward?

Or is this all Im likely to get?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 20-Mar-15 12:32:32
Print Post

Re: whats the chance of BT installing a new cabinet?

[re: poggs] [link to this post]

Unlikely ...

And even if there was an install it is unlikely that existing customers would be moved without good reason and faster speed is not a good enough reason.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Mar-15 12:51:43
Print Post

The only reason for BT to add extra FTTC-like nodes into an area where the PCP already has an FTTC twin, is to extend range beyond the (approx) 1.2km distance that superfast speeds can get to.

On the mainland, this issue affects a small percentage, and we have seen one trial box installed for this purpose, aka FTTRN, covering 16 properties in North Yorkshire. It is, unfortunately, too expensive to get power; so BT look like they'll be spending the next year deciding whether there are alternatives ways of getting power.

In Northern Ireland, there are many more lines that are too far from the FTTC cabinet, so they have started a new project with this kind of infill in mind.

If this were to happen more, in the current rollouts, then BT are likely to concentrate on those whose line speeds are below the 24Mbps superfast threshold.

In the future, G.fast nodes might help you; that could be anytime over the next decade though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Mar-15 13:27:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by poggs:
I get 29.5Mb down and 5.55Mb upload.
...Or is this all Im likely to get?
FYI - I'm a around 700m away from the cabinet - but it looks like my line is longer. I started with your stats, I was one of the first to be connected. But after a few weeks due to Crosstalk + DLM I lost 10Mb on the downstream. So keep an eye on your stats, things could get worse...!

Standard User chilting
(newbie) Fri 20-Mar-15 13:44:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

@WWWombat
The power problem is clearly a big drawback. Could the mini FTTRN units be solar powered with batteries?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Mar-15 14:14:52
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

Unlikely

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Mar-15 18:22:14
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chilting:
Could the mini FTTRN units be solar powered with batteries?

Funnily enough, this exact question was asked in yesterday's council meeting with NYNET.

The answer was that BT require a very reliable power supply - which rules out most of the top-up solutions such as wind or solar. It was also mentioned that the power can't just be added into a random street light either - suggesting there are some additional quality requirements in play here.

As an aside, I was told that Openreach now seem to have permission to install FTTC cabinets without electricity meters. I know previous attempts had not be accepted by the power companies, but that seems to have changed.
  Print Thread

Jump to