General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HTTP404
(regular) Sun 22-Mar-15 14:43:01
Print Post

Fibre Package Speed Comparisions.

[link to this post]

I'm sure the answer to this may be on the forums already, but can't find it at the moment.

So a noobie fibre question ................ I'm trying to decide if an upgrade is worth it.

If I am on a (say) 40/10 package, but my actual downstream is 20 Mbps, what would be my expected downstream speed be if I upgraded to a 80/20 package.

40 Mbps because I can get half the line max speed.

Still 20 Mbps because that is the max. my line would run at.

or

Something in between.

Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Mar-15 14:47:28
Print Post

Re: Fibre Package Speed Comparisions.

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

20Mbps because that's the most your line will run at, I'm afraid.

Edit - barring anything that is slowing you down from what your line could do, in which case it is still true, at least until the problem is resolved.

Do you have an Openreach modem, and if so - which one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 22-Mar-15 14:49:38)

Standard User HTTP404
(regular) Sun 22-Mar-15 14:49:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

WOW - thanks.

I didn't even have time to swallow my mouth full of coffee before your response - superb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Mar-15 14:50:04
Print Post

See my edit smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User HTTP404
(regular) Sun 22-Mar-15 14:55:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks again -

I'm fairly certain everything in the house is "clean", my problem is an old rural village with ancient infrastructure - which I don't think I can do anything about.

I'm quite happy with what I'm getting now, so at least I can save some money by not upgrading (until upstream becomes a problem).

Cheers again.

Edited by HTTP404 (Sun 22-Mar-15 14:55:49)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Mar-15 09:00:59
Print Post

Just expanding on Bob's very correct response.

The 40/10 and 80/20 are exactly the same technology. If you opt for the 40/10 then all that happens is BT cap the link to a maximum of that speed. The same as 80/20 is a cap and some lines could go faster if the cap was removed. There is no ratio applied selecting between the packages and the "attainable" speed for sync is the same no matter which package you are on.
  Print Thread

Jump to