General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Mar-15 14:55:27
Print Post

Question about fibre router

[link to this post]

My fibre (FTTC) gets connected tomorrow afternoon and surprise surprise the PlusNet router hasn't arrived so unless it arrives tomorrow before the Engineer comes, I'll be forced to use either my Netgear DGN2200 or a TP-Link (ex SamKnows whitebox) router for the time being.

My questions is this: if I have to use one of these alongside the Openreach modem, switching over to the PlusNet one once it arrives won't affect the settling down period (assuming there is one with fibre??) will it as I won't be disconnecting the Openreach modem.

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:40:44
Print Post

Re: Question about fibre router

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Correct.

There isn't a settling in period anyway, though BT Wholesale continue to say there is.

Openreach say that the line is connected at first with no limits (other than the product caps of 80/20, 40/10, 40/2) and DLM will not normally intervene until the day after first connection, as long as that first day's connection is for more than 15 minutes. After that it will do whatever it deems necessary for ever after.

I suppose therefore we could say there is a settling in period of the second day day plus the connection time during the first. Rebooting or disconnecting the modem a few times in that time-span could make the DLM either apply harsher stabilisation controls at the end, or in extreme cases even during the period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:43:51
Print Post

Re: Question about fibre router

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Great - that's what I hoped. Iam about 400m from the fibre cab so fingers crossed I'll get good speeds too. Estimate is a high of 73.4meg clean and 64.8 dirty so to speak!

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Tue 24-Mar-15 15:44:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to