General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Mar-15 16:58:04
Print Post

Fibre connected but got issues . . . .

[link to this post]

Finally got fibre connected today but both myself and the engineer are baffled by the speed results. His initial test and all subsequent ones (via his handheld tool) shows a connection of 76.3meg. The linespeed in the portal also showed as 80mb.

The highest speedtest I've gotten is 45meg but the plusnet portal now shows a line speed of just 11.5meg!

What could be going on? The router is the plusnet supplied 2704 but it's menu is so basic, I can't find anywhere to even show me the connected speed!

Edit: I've just completed the BT Wholesale performance test which said it was way under estimated speeds and that an error was detected that needs further investigation. Told me to goto http://test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and change my username in the router to a bt one. This test won't even run! Keeps saying an error has occurred!

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Wed 25-Mar-15 17:16:49)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Mar-15 17:16:54
Print Post

Re: Fibre connected but got issues . . . .

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
The highest speedtest I've gotten is 45meg but the plusnet portal now shows a line speed of just 11.5meg!

If the Plusnet figure doesn't sort itself out within the next few hours, give them a nudge and they'll fix it.
What could be going on? The router is the plusnet supplied 2704 but it's menu is so basic, I can't find anywhere to even show me the connected speed!

There isn't. You need an unlocked modem to see that, or alternatively, run the BT Wholesale test, go to further diagnostics, note the IP profile and multiply by 1.033.

Edit: Just seen that you've run the test. Sounds like there is a problem, again, get onto Plusnet about it.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 66000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Wed 25-Mar-15 17:18:01)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Mar-15 17:18:02
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hi Kevin I must have run that while you were typing and have edited my above post with some more info about the results. Not looking good.

Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Mar-15 17:53:37
Print Post

Don't do the further test, it is just the diagnostics page information that lists the IP Profile that is important.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Mar-15 18:26:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok cool. That's been sent to plusnet according to that page so will wait and see what happens. Line speed back up to 78mb in portal but speeds still same.

Speedtest
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-15 03:31:43
Print Post

After the PN member centre has been updated with a new line speed, then you need to get PPP to disconnect and connect again, so the speed gets imported into PN's traffic management kit.

If you can find anywhere in the router GUI to disconnect & re-connect PPP, you could try power cycling it.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Mar-15 07:50:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the reply - member center got updated to 78meg last night, but in the meantime I connected my new billion 8800nl in place of OR modem and Plusnet router. Now getting 55meg connected via cable to modem.

This is still short of the 62-72meg estimate though and well short of the 76meg the Engineer was getting.

If i disconnect PPP, does that lessen the chances of DLM kicking in as opposed to just restarting or powering off modem?

Speedtest
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Mar-15 16:29:52
Print Post

If i disconnect PPP, does that lessen the chances of DLM kicking in as opposed to just restarting or powering off modem?

Yes, it will have no effect whatsoever on DLM, whereas powering off the modem might.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 66000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Mar-15 18:17:02
Print Post

This is still short of the 62-72meg estimate though and well short of the 76meg the Engineer was getting.

Note that the estimates are line rates (ie sync speed), not download speeds.

If you can't get your modem to tell you the sync speed, then you need to find your IP Profile value. As mentioned before, this can be discovered by running a BT Wholesale Speedtest. Once run, you (mostly) ignore the speed it tells you (that is another download test); instead your perform the "further diagnostics". If this works (it sometimes doesn't), the resulting screen will tell you the IP profile that BT has applied to your line.

Take the downstream profile, and multiply by 1.033 - that will tell you your sync speed.

From knowing your sync speed, your download speeds will then run at a maximum of about 95% of the sync speed.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Mar-15 18:23:24
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The Billion 8800nl has now been connected nearly 24hrs and has been constantly sync'd with an attainable rate of 68166Kbps and the actual rate says 68015Kbps. Just did a speedtest connected direct with ethernet cable and got this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14273...

Still short of the rate the modem says I'm getting but much better than yesterday!

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre Extra
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14273...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to