General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-15 12:04:19
Print Post

Preparing for fibre

[link to this post]

Hi
Fibre broadband (FTTC) will shortly be available in my area & I was wondering if/how to prepare for this.
Currently my router is connected to an extension socket off the master socket.
I would prefer to have it connected to the master socket but as is usual, due to the location of the master socket this is not feasible.
Would it be OK to connect the router to the master socket & then, using powerline adaptors, connect my PC to it that way?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Mar-15 12:23:47
Print Post

Re: Preparing for fibre

[re: DavidA23] [link to this post]

Connecting the PC via Ethernet would be best, but the 500 or faster HomePlug devices can cope with FTTC type speeds There are faster devices but not had chance to test their throughput e.g. Devolo 1200 with AC wifi at £150

The more reasonable £50 devices without Wi-Fi should suffice, but with plans to up the speed of FTTC if you are near to the maximum estimates consider homeplugs a stop-gap or buy the more expensive stuff.

With HomePlug and VDSL2 sharing such a similar radio band might also be worth ensuring the phone line is kept away from the mains wiring as much as possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-15 13:11:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.
So I'd be better routing an ethernet cable from the router at the master socket to the room where my PC resides. Would 20 metres of ethernet cable incur much loss.Then of course there's phones to supply in two rooms. What would be the best solution. Do you know of any other source of info including diagrams of cable routing options?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Mon 30-Mar-15 13:44:48
Print Post

You may want to investigate an engineer installation for your FTTC rather than a self install - all depends on our ISP - but BT can come out and install a fibre extension where your computer is as part of the install - for no extra charge I think

Regards
Sunil
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-15 13:49:30
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Yes, the more I read it seems I'm worrying unnecessarily. It seems that many ISPs will move the master socket to where it's required when the fibre goes live.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Mar-15 13:54:51
Print Post

20 metres of CAT5e will incur no loss. Cat5e can manage Gigabit over 100m of cable and would represent the best solution.

Perfect world -

1. CAT5e socket at each end and use infrastructure cable
2. Then use simple short patch cable to connect cables

RJ45 socket the sort of faceplate you would use, back boxes for wall mounting are available. Copper cable CAT5e solid core copper should be used between the sockets. Krone tool for connecting cable to the wiring blocks.

In terms of instructions just match the colour scheme of the connection blocks on the socket, or if you want to do a quick job or temporary test then tool less connectors like RJ45 Gigabit Connector at £6 each are worth adding to the toolbox.

If you need to colour match your Ethernet cable for décor reasons then people like BlackBox do different colours http://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/fi/1234/11407/GigaBa...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-15 14:45:20
Print Post

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll just wait until it's live & have the engineer do it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Mar-15 15:21:07
Print Post

The engineer WILL NOT do you an Ethernet extension, if you get an engineer install (which the majority are NOT) then a data extension from the master socket can be added.

Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-15 15:25:34
Print Post

Is that not the often mentioned Data Extension Kit?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Mar-15 15:28:24
Print Post

It is, and its just a dedicated phone extension from the new master socket faceplate, nothing fancy, just you get someone else to hammer in the cable clips, and ISP may charge for install rather than do it free. Cost to them is £50 for no engineer install or £99 with engineer.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to