General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ckupris
(committed) Tue 31-Mar-15 12:23:51
Print Post

WSOBA - Loads of cabs, very few live

[link to this post]

A story that I'm sure you familiar with but looking for possible explanations.

The town had fibre cabs installed spring/summer last year, I'm guessing a dozen or so. DSL availability checker has been bouncing dates into the future since. Example, cab 4 has gone from 31-Mar-15 to 31-Mar-16 in the past couple days.

The exchange area is marked as enabled and I can identify two cabs that are live, all the others I've checked aren't however.

Baffled as to why you would install cabs everywhere then only enable a couple... could understand blocked ducts or power causing an issue on a few but not as many.

Anyone have experience of the same?

Edited by ckupris (Tue 31-Mar-15 12:25:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Mar-15 12:34:53
Print Post

Re: WSOBA - Loads of cabs, very few live

[re: ckupris] [link to this post]

Only takes a blocked duct at one critical junction to cause many months of delays

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FredTheB
(regular) Tue 31-Mar-15 12:52:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Same on my exchange, 2 cabs were built at end of 2013 and still haven't been enabled. My exchange has been fibre enabled since 2011!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Mar-15 14:05:15
Print Post

A conspiracy theory...

It looks like all the active cabs are part of BDUK, while all the non-live cabs are commercial ones. The only exception to this pattern is where FTTP is due to be used, which are BDUK but aren't live yet.

That suggests resource limitations, combined with big BDUK penalty clauses.
Standard User ckupris
(committed) Tue 31-Mar-15 22:55:12
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yeah I had wondering if there was some box ticking exercise going on to where by only a couple cabs needed to be live to qualify.

Would be interested to see the information for all the cabinets in the exchange area if you have it available and can share it.
Standard User ckupris
(committed) Tue 31-Mar-15 22:58:50
Print Post

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

That nuts, crazy to think off all the expensive hardware sitting about completely idle.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Apr-15 00:35:51
Print Post

copy of cabinet data

It probably isn't entirely up to date, so you can't be sure of the cabs dated end of March without checking via BTW's checker.

In reply to a post by ckupris:
That nuts, crazy to think off all the expensive hardware sitting about completely idle.

There isn't that much, in reality, but the problems cabinets do end up falling backwards a month at a time, or more. Once you factor in the advance notice needed for roadworks, it is easy to see it happen.

Most of the money involved is in the labour of the employees and contractors - digging, getting fibre through, getting power connected, etc. This expense gets spent, even if the people sit around, idle, waiting for a problem to be solved - so the key to the plan is to keep people busy at all times.

Unfortunately, that means cabinets with problems are swiftly bypassed by the workforce; it then takes time for a cab to work its way back to the head of the queue for whatever issue needs resolving.
Standard User ckupris
(committed) Wed 01-Apr-15 09:33:59
Print Post

That's really useful, thank you very much!

Didn't realise it was a near 50/50 split on active/inactive cabinets, only been pumping numbers into the BTW checker for a few areas around town to glean information.

I know where a few of the active cabs are located and they are well spread around, would seem like they have specifically enabled the BDUK cabs for a reason. Wonder if there is local backhaul problems or limited Openreach engineer availability to carry out FTTC activations/installs on the other cabs.
Standard User delone
(experienced) Wed 01-Apr-15 22:32:40
Print Post

Very interesting list........ Do you do postcode requests?

Cheers

Del
  Print Thread

Jump to