General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JammaN
(newbie) Sat 04-Apr-15 19:24:37
Print Post

Question about modem/router hardware

[link to this post]

So this week after 11 years of being in the super slow lane our area and Cabinet got upgraded to FTTC and were able to place an order:

Telephone Number HIDDEN on Exchange LLANYBYDDER is served by Cabinet 4

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 76.9 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 61.9 20 12.2 -- Available

ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 0.5 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 31-May-15

This is my estimate for a 400-450m line

We have ordered the up to 76mb package from Plusnet as we are with them currently for ADSL (2.5 - 3mb sync at 58attenuation). We will be recieving an FTTC router from them and using the openreach supplied modem. However I am hearing stories that this combination is rather bad? Like the OR modem is locked and you cannot see things like line stats and sync speeds and has a generally poor performance.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a really sick modem/router combo for FTTC?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:22:43
Print Post

Re: Question about modem/router hardware

[re: JammaN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JammaN:
However I am hearing stories that this combination is rather bad? Like the OR modem is locked and you cannot see things like line stats and sync speeds and has a generally poor performance.

It is not "bad" and there is nothing wrong with the performance, unless you mean the wireless, which could probably be improved. You cannot see the line stats (but unless you have a problem you don't really need to) but if you get a Huwaei HG612 modem it is extremely easy to unlock.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 67000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:31:01
Print Post

So this week after 11 years of being in the super slow lane our area and Cabinet got upgraded to FTTC and were able to place an order:

Telephone Number HIDDEN on Exchange LLANYBYDDER is served by Cabinet 4

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 76.9 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 61.9 20 12.2 -- Available

ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 0.5 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 31-May-15

This is my estimate for a 400-450m line

We have ordered the up to 76mb package from Plusnet as we are with them currently for ADSL (2.5 - 3mb sync at 58attenuation). We will be recieving an FTTC router from them and using the openreach supplied modem. However I am hearing stories that this combination is rather bad? Like the OR modem is locked and you cannot see things like line stats and sync speeds and has a generally poor performance.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a really sick modem/router combo for FTTC?

Hopefully you'll be supplied with the Huawei HG612 from Openreach. You can then easily unlock this and check all your line stats.

There is a chance you'll receive an 'ECI' modem instead of the Huawei, if this is the case then your options are to either buy a HG612, or buy one of the routers with an integrated vdsl modem, which would let you check your line stats.

Be aware there are only a few VDSL routers that can be configured to work properly with BT FTTC though.

HG612 is the cheaper option, as long as you don't mind having two devices, one modem and one router.

Lets hope you receive one automatically when your FTTC is installed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gregormac
(learned) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:58:10
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Have a look at the Fritz box, 3490 or 7490 if you want full VoIP capability. These things are the dogs.
WiFi Ac, full compatability with ginp and vectoring, and working happily on a Plusnet line

8Mb ADSL Max
waiting for 80/20
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Apr-15 21:23:58
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

Perfectly happy with my TG582/HG612, thanks. smile

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 21:41:59
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

And I'm perfectly happy with an unlocked HG612 and an ASUS RT-N66U, which I have because living in a steel-framed house, including between the first floor (where the router is) and the ground floor, the previous Plusnet router was not good at the far end of the house. The new Sagecom I haven't seen any comments about - maybe it is better.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Apr-15 21:44:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am cheating a bit as I have three wireless repeaters throughout the house using old routers, connected via powerline adapters.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sat 04-Apr-15 21:45:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 21:56:01
Print Post

That doesn't sound like it would be a friendly thing for us to do.

/me passes you an "l". wink

You've had a few suggestions, and many people on the forums are happy with the router I posted about, but I have two thoughts.

First is, check which make of cabinet you have. If it's a Huawei, see these pictures, that makes step two easier.

The second is that when the engineer comes to install the modem, ask if you can have an HG612 if he has one, rather than an ECI. If the cabinet is Huawei you have the argument that you believe it is best to match them. If the cab is ECI you will need to ask nicely!

Until it's all settled in and working I suggest you hold off buying anything else.

In terms of it settling in, ignore anything you've heard or hear about 10-day training, though if it comes to you from Plusnet there isn't a lot you can say. There is no such period on FTTC. The critical time is the rest of the day it is first connected, and the whole of the following day. Whatever you do, do not disconnect or power off the modem during that period.

The reason is that the Openreach DLM, which controls and runs for ever on the line, is particularly sensitive over that period. Then it goes into normal mode, and is quite good. Far better than the BT Wholesale one you currently have. The IP Profile still comes from the BTW one, but that doesn't directly control the line any more.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User JammaN
(newbie) Sat 04-Apr-15 22:52:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That doesn't sound like it would be a friendly thing for us to do.

/me passes you an "l". wink

You've had a few suggestions, and many people on the forums are happy with the router I posted about, but I have two thoughts.

First is, check which make of cabinet you have. If it's a Huawei, see these pictures, that makes step two easier.

The second is that when the engineer comes to install the modem, ask if you can have an HG612 if he has one, rather than an ECI. If the cabinet is Huawei you have the argument that you believe it is best to match them. If the cab is ECI you will need to ask nicely!

Until it's all settled in and working I suggest you hold off buying anything else.

In terms of it settling in, ignore anything you've heard or hear about 10-day training, though if it comes to you from Plusnet there isn't a lot you can say. There is no such period on FTTC. The critical time is the rest of the day it is first connected, and the whole of the following day. Whatever you do, do not disconnect or power off the modem during that period.

The reason is that the Openreach DLM, which controls and runs for ever on the line, is particularly sensitive over that period. Then it goes into normal mode, and is quite good. Far better than the BT Wholesale one you currently have. The IP Profile still comes from the BTW one, but that doesn't directly control the line any more.

Thanks for the reply, our cab is the Huawei FTTC cab - 288 max so I guess we should wait and see what modem is supplied and take it from there.
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Sun 05-Apr-15 09:31:19
Print Post

Go for something you can flash OpenWrt on as it'll let you easily tweak things. If you can get one on eBay cheap get the TP-Link WDR4900 because it still beats most commodity routers on the market today. Failing that the TP-Link Archer C7 seems well regarded.

Since you're already using multiple wifi access points you might want to use a router dedicated to routing and keep the wifi separate. Something like the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite would be a good choice.

If you disable 802.11b compatibility on your wifi access points (which you should always do anyway if you have no 802.11b devices because it slows down your whole network) you actually have 4 non-overlapping channels in Europe: 1, 5, 9 and 13 so you could squeeze in another access point if you wish. But you should turn the transmit power down low to minimise interference with your neighbours.
  Print Thread

Jump to