General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ansam
(regular) Wed 15-Apr-15 14:32:53
Print Post

Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hello,

So I have the new type master socket MK2 I think you call it with the separate phone and VDSL connections. Am I right in thinking that the test socket is irrelevant when troubleshooting broadband disconnections?

Thanks
Sam
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Apr-15 14:37:59
Print Post

Re: Master Socket

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

No still relevant as a fault in the faceplate can cause issues sometimes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Wed 15-Apr-15 19:10:51
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

No, you still have to resort in removing the phone and filter face plates and use the master socket when you are trouble shooting.

By removing the the phone and xDSL filter plates you are removing everything from your line, i.e. no extensions, no internet nothing is connected, you will have to connect a micro filter to the master socket and connect the router/modem to that and if do a fault test while talking to your ISP you will have to connect your phone to that same micro filter.

By unplugging everything you are excluding extensions, and the xDSL filter face plate from the list of possible causes.

I had faulty xDSL filter faceplate a while back due to a bad lightning storm above our house, at first I thought it was our line that had gone down due to no broadband nor phone line, but double checked everything and found it to be the xDSL filter faceplate, so I temporary used a micro filter and ordered a couple of new xDSL MK3 face plates and now its all working.

Doing this saved me having BTOR come out and charge the £100 or £150 call out charge.

So yes it is still relevant to use the master test socket when trouble shooting broadband issues.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 15-Apr-15 19:39:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not just faceplate problems. if there's a wiring fault on any VDSL extension, that will also cause problems.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Wed 15-Apr-15 20:03:18
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
Not just faceplate problems. if there's a wiring fault on any VDSL extension, that will also cause problems.
Yeah, that's why the ISP normally say to remove all face plates and to use the test socket.
And if it still has a fault then its "most probably" an external fault.

I replaced the entire NTE5a Master Socket and wiring (apart from BT's cable to the first box to the Master socket) due to it being a very old one like 15 - 20 odd years (back in the days of Home Choice), am currently using the xDSL MK3 (ADSL, VDSL) face plate and I have used CAT5e on it's 2 pin IDC connector from downstairs to upstairs in the middle of the house which works great, same with all the phone extensions are connected to the IDC connector on the phone face plate, makes it very easy to locate a fault on either wirings.

Image of NTE5a Master Socket + xDSL Filter

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 15-Apr-15 21:10:03)

Print Thread

Jump to