General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andycs149
(member) Fri 17-Apr-15 14:19:58
Print Post

Any Ideas on possible speeds

[link to this post]

Hiya All

Well after 2.5 years of arguing with BT my local mp etc BDUK have installed the cab and my FFTC is live wohoo! cruisng along at 40/10 on a provider

I was thinking about upgrading to the next package up 80/20 but i didnt want to if the speeds were not going to be fabulous lol

My current stats - all i can get from the router provided and im not allowed to us a different router ;- (

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 39998 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 17.1 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 27.1 dB 30.30 dB

Do we think i would get the increases in down and up to justify a price increase anything?

Thanks

Andy

See Ya
Andy 'Mush' Smith
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Apr-15 14:23:58
Print Post

Re: Any Ideas on possible speeds

[re: Andycs149] [link to this post]

Downstream of 55 to 65 Mbps and a good boost to upload as spare margin is there.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andycs149
(member) Fri 17-Apr-15 14:25:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks may be worth it for the upload, backups and my plex server streaming to my phone while im at work wink

See Ya
Andy 'Mush' Smith

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 17-Apr-15 15:06:31
Print Post

MrS will not be too far out in his estimates.

You say you are not allowed to use a different router. Why not? You could always get an HG612 off ebay, flash the software and install it short term or to feed your router and you can pull a full set of stats including Max Attainable speeds. The HG612 is fairly cheap and it will take all of 5 minutes - who would know if you did it late at night?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ip75
(learned) Fri 17-Apr-15 15:30:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I think you'll probably get 80/20, at least for a while, because from the high upload margin I'm guessing you're probably about first user on the cabinet.

I assume you're on Sky - you *could* put an Openreach modem between the Sky router and the phone line, which is easy to do. Bit of a grey area whether that breaks Sky's rules or not? And then you could unlock the modem if you wanted.

Having said that, the best way to get an estimate is probably to put your full address into the BT Wholesale checker.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Apr-15 23:46:56
Print Post

I have a couple of rules-of-thumb that can give you an idea.

1st: Attenuation
Your downstream attenuation of 17dB is slightly higher than my previous line, which was 16.7dB (as measured on an HG612). That line was about 350-400m of 0.5mm copper, and when we first went live in early 2012, it showed a maximum attainable speed of 90Mbps. The cab had been standing for nearly 18 months by then, so there will already have been some crosstalk from other subscribers. Over the course of the next 2.5 years, the noise increased from crosstalk, and we ended up syncing at about 78/20.

2nd: Spare noise margin
Downstream, you have roughly 21dB of spare SNRM

For speeds of 40-60Mbps, I reckon each extra 3dB buys you 8Mbps - so you use 8dB to get from 40Mbps to 60Mbps.

For speeds of 60-80Mbps, I reckon each extra 3dB buys you 10Mbps - so you use 6dB to get from 60 to 80Mbps

For speeds at 80Mbps, I reckon each extra 3dB buys you 11Mbps. The remaining 7dB probably takes your maximum attainable speed to around 100Mbps.

If you are an early adopter, then your spare noise margin will be high now, but will get reduced by crosstalk over time as others subscribe, so you'd expect this to come down. So long as downstream SNR stays above 20dB, you're likely to get to 80Mbps.
  Print Thread

Jump to