General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Apr-15 14:32:24
Print Post

UKNOF live

[link to this post]

BT presentation on G.fast - live, now.

http://uknof.bogons.net/uknof31.html
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 16:30:06
Print Post

Re: UKNOF live

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Damn, missed it frown
Standard User ip75
(learned) Mon 20-Apr-15 16:31:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Slides here: https://indico.uknof.org.uk/getFile.py/access?contri...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 16:32:27
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

Thanks, reading now.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Apr-15 16:40:09
Print Post

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2014/10/g-fast-shows-... has more fun stuff if you've not seen it before and pre-dates the G.fast announcements

Some rough estimates on coverage even if Openreach was to deploy a node with the cabinets (the likely route initially) http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6824-vdsl2-has-no... and then of course as they push the nodes out (onto poles and footway boxes the coverage will jump a lot.

Of course there will be plenty of shouts of copper is dead, why bother, but unless a Government forces the hand of a public company we generally have to accept what the board decides for the direction.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 17:28:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I think I may of read some of those a little why back, but will double check just in case smile

Well TBH I think BTOR must of got lost blowing the fibre due to 3.5 years later after installing all the hardware in the pit and up the pole and said they will be next blowing the fibre yet its still not here tongue

Jokes aside now...

Hopefully I should find out on the 22nd (in 2 days) from BT due to our MP getting involved and also wanted to know what's going on, so either way we should find out when we will finally get our FTTP completed that originally started back in 2011, or be told why we are not getting fibre.

TBH I wouldn't even mind them installing a fibre cabinet with a node in it, thing is would that be compatible with all the fibre hardware currently installed in the BT pit and up the pole? or would this use our copper line from the PCP Cabinet like FTTC?

The reason I ask is we are about 470m - 525m following possible cable routes under the pavement.

But in a way the fibre manifold that we currently have in the BT pit, is in a way a node if you think about it, by the means it splits of a main fibre into multiple of others, so if this is to be true then our hardware shouldn't need changing, or am I wrong again like I am normally tongue

Even if they fibre up to the pole and then use the copper line, I have no issues with that.

Paul
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 17:47:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well TBH I think BTOR must of got lost blowing the fibre due to 3.5 years later after installing all the hardware in the pit and up the pole and said they will be next blowing the fibre yet its still not here tongue

Pffft. There's a local cable company that dug all the streets and fitted street cabinets in my area 15 years ago... and then never bothered running any cable in there.

Maybe Virgin will buy them for their expansion (or Google will pick them up for their first International rollout of Google Fibre). At least, that's what i'm hoping.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Apr-15 18:32:51
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

Ignore the PDF slides.

The PPT slides match the ones he described, including the bit I consider to be the newest information: https://indico.uknof.org.uk/conferenceOtherViews.py?...

Highlights
- That the summer trial is now 3 locations (adding Swansea), with 2k premises in each place.

- That they've done an "early technical trial" which includes a little more than the only one we previously knew about.

This trial seemed to have 7 DP's fed from one PCP.
Power was provided centrally, and distributed in multi-pair copper.
Power feeds to a single DP get labelled as "10/20 pr power cable"
Power feeds to 2xDP get labelled as "50-pr power cable"
Each DP supports 3-6 homes passed, with "Confirmed Triallists" making up 1-5 homes on each DP (total 22).

Verbally, the trial resulted in speeds of 350Mb at 200m, and 500Mb+ at 50m; we should presume these follow G.fast convention, and combine up- and down-stream as a total.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Apr-15 18:45:19
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Verbally, the trial resulted in speeds of 350Mb at 200m, and 500Mb+ at 50m; we should presume these follow G.fast convention, and combine up- and down-stream as a total.

Other slides tie into this: BT think they can get more speed, by pushing at things like receiver sensitivity, power, PSDs, and making it work better alongside VDSL2.

He mentioned the varied efforts into "VDSL2+", which he thought was not time well spent - as it would be spectrally incompatible.

Also mentioned a dislike of PPP, so will probably aim at IPoE for this.

Finally: Someone from Warwicknet asked about SLU, and cases where other operators had already deployed VDSL2 cabinets. The language used implied this would be a game-killer - that BT wouldn't bother deploying G.fast there, as it would prove impossible to get vectoring to interwork.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Apr-15 19:02:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

One slide was focussed on fibre.

Essentially, they want to change to a model that requires less splicing out at/near the customer ("connectorisation"), and a different type of cable - "SST".

The implication of the latter was that this type of cable would work better for "slightly blocked ducts", in that it would be better able to push through blockages better - so there was much less need to call out a digging team.

The implication there was that these two items are a significant reason why FTTPoD is not as cheap to deploy (in reality) as they would like.

There was also the mention that (re-confirmation, I guess) that one major factor against FTTP was that, even with enough money, there aren't enough people to do the work. They're already importing people from East Europe to do the work...

TBH I wouldn't even mind them installing a fibre cabinet with a node in it, thing is would that be compatible with all the fibre hardware currently installed in the BT pit and up the pole? or would this use our copper line from the PCP Cabinet like FTTC?

Any kind of node will terminate fibre from the exchange head-end, and connect to the copper coming into the house.

But in a way the fibre manifold that we currently have in the BT pit, is in a way a node if you think about it, by the means it splits of a main fibre into multiple of others, so if this is to be true then our hardware shouldn't need changing, or am I wrong again like I am normally tongue

The manifold is actually only a plastic pot that holds the end of 7 or 12 empty tubes (blown fibre tubes).

When you want service, they would install a drop line to your house, comprised of more empty tube - and join it to the manifold. They then blow the actual fibre from the DP further back in the network (which might only be at the foot of the pole, but might be a previous pole - probably one DP per 4 or 5 poles) through the tube to the splice point that they install on the outside of the home.

Edited by WWWombat (Mon 20-Apr-15 20:10:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to