General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User delone
(experienced) Mon 20-Apr-15 20:25:59
Print Post

Properties Passed and BDUK funding

[link to this post]

I know this is a bit of crystal ball gazing but there are some well informed people on this forum who I'm hoping will chime in.

My local cabinet has a low number of properties supported by it in two streets, 55 properties in the first street and 1 property in the second street (the second street only has 5 houses the other lines being EO). Digital Scotland have confirmed we are due an upgrade to Superfast Broadband.

The surrounding streets all have cabinets with 400+ to 500+ properties which have been enabled for FTTC for a couple of years.

What technology is most likely to be used to bring us Superfast Broadband? Is there a possibility that FTTP would be likely in this scenario?

Cheers

Del
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Apr-15 08:12:37
Print Post

Re: Properties Passed and BDUK funding

[re: delone] [link to this post]

If the houses aren't far from the cab then most likely I would have thought would be FTTC - best return on investment on small cabs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Apr-15 09:58:27
Print Post

Given a postcode someone might even be able to divine from the tea leaves what is planned.

Small single cab is most likely solution, and Scotland is doing a fair bit of rearrangement so some of the EO may end up on the new cab too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User delone
(experienced) Tue 21-Apr-15 18:49:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks.

Del
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-15 19:05:13
Print Post

Ok, have done some checks:
Exchange Name: Cumbernauld
Exchange Code: WSCUM

Cabinet: 88
Fibre Phase: Not Available
Fibre Information: Fibre Not Available
Result Count: 63

[G68 ***]
Has 7 result(s) connected to an EO (Exchange Only) line with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 2.5 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 1.0 to 4.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 3.5 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 2.0 to 6.0 (downstream range)

Has 1 result(s) connected to Cabinet 88 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 2.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 1.0 to 3.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 2.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 1.0 to 3.0 (downstream range)

[G68 ***]
Has 55 result(s) connected to Cabinet 88 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 1.0 to 3.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 3.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 2.0 to 5.5 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
TBH I cannot see you getting FTTC with just 66 addresses, but like Andrew has already said you may get some EO lines added to your cabinet which may get you upgraded to FTTC, I can see that your 2 postcodes already have some EO Lines, not many but some and depending where all the other EO Lines are located (and there are still loads that haven't been moved over to a cabinet yet) could result in your cabinet getting them.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 21-Apr-15 19:06:49)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Apr-15 19:35:48
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

No sign of any plans, but plans keep changing, so that does not mean no.

Based on it looking like one real postcode now for cabinet 88, I'd expect to not see FTTC but perhaps an adjustment to move people to cabinet 52 unless it is really full.

A case of keep pestering them, and double check here to see if a new tea bag has been ripped open

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User delone
(experienced) Tue 21-Apr-15 22:31:53
Print Post

A case of keep pestering them

I certainly shall laugh

Thanks Andrew and Paul.

Del
Standard User delone
(experienced) Wed 03-Jun-15 20:01:29
Print Post

I pass my local cabinet everyday at least twice and last Thursday I got excited because I thought I saw paint markings on the grass verge. I looked a little closer and realised that it was just grass cuttings frown.

I must have been seeing the future because yesterday marking paint did appear! It looks like my question on which technology we will get has been answered (FTTC).

http://i.imgur.com/sWPqns7.jpg

Del
Standard User delone
(experienced) Thu 04-Jun-15 15:02:37
Print Post

Hi Andrew,

Would you be able to check the tea leaves again? I believe we are now in the plans for an FTTC cabinet but no idea of dates.

Cheers

Del
Standard User GorillaWheels
(regular) Thu 04-Jun-15 15:25:59
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi Paul,
What to you use/where do you get this information from?
Cheers

Dave

EE ADSL2+ 7.8 Mbps down / 0.94 Mbps up
  Print Thread

Jump to