General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jamey281
(newbie) Sun 26-Apr-15 19:24:48
Print Post

Broadand spped confusion

[link to this post]

I am confused about the difference between speed test results and actual speed. I recently signed up to fibre broadband which promises speeds of up to 40mb/s download and to it;s credit when I run speed tests on several sites it s around that, however when I am actually downloading files e.g downloading an ISO I get around 3.5 - 4 mb/s. this is still a great deal more that I got on regular DSL but I just wanted to clear up why there is such a difference.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Apr-15 19:32:23
Print Post

Re: Broadand spped confusion

[re: jamey281] [link to this post]

The 40 Mbps is 40 Mbps per second, but Windows when showing file download speeds uses MB/sec which is Mega Bytes per second. Each byte comprises 8 bits, to 3.5 to 4 MB/sec is around 27 Mbps to 32 Mbps.

No disparity, just different units i.e the case of the b or B makes a big difference.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jamey281
(newbie) Sun 26-Apr-15 19:35:48
Print Post

Re: Broadand spped confusion

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron,

Thanks for the speedy reply, I actually figured this out almost as soon as I had posted the question by comparing the two..probably a stupid question. I should have looked closer before asking

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to