General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Keydogg
(newbie) Mon 27-Apr-15 08:48:39
Print Post

Tap into Fibre Pipe going to Exchange?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker of the forums but never registered until today as usually all the information I need is right there for me, but right now I'm looking for some knowledge.

Our workplace is on an EO line, approximately 3.5km from the exchange. The exchange itself is going through the FTTC upgrades at the moment with all its cabs being upgraded, which obviously doesn't apply to us.

Now for my query, the fibre pipe which feeds the exchange comes right past our workplace, I mean literally RIGHT past. If I stepped out my office right now I could throw a stone to it. Northern Fibre Networks laid the new pipe about 6 weeks ago.

I'm assumed this is a big-fat no, but thought I'd ask the question: can FTTP tap in theory into this? I'm assuming not, and the fibre would have to come to us from the exchange, but thought it'd be worth the ask. If there was a slight chance of this being capable I'd be calling BT within a heartbeat.

Thanks for the help!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 27-Apr-15 08:51:11
Print Post

Re: Tap into Fibre Pipe going to Exchange?

[re: Keydogg] [link to this post]

No

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Apr-15 08:52:21
Print Post

What you want is a leased line which is expensive

Effectively custom built connection hence price.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Keydogg
(newbie) Mon 27-Apr-15 09:15:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought this might be the case. [censored] frown Looks like we're set for slow broadband for a long while then!
Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 27-Apr-15 10:44:44
Print Post

I think we'd all be trying to tap in to the big fibre pipes if this was possible smile

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User Keydogg
(newbie) Mon 27-Apr-15 10:57:10
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

There is that!

It's just so frustrating that the line is quite literally on our doorstep but there's no way for us to access superfast frown
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Apr-15 11:05:21
Print Post

I disagree with everyone else.

Your question was whether it could be done in "theory". And in theory it could indeed be done. Fibre could be cut, splitter spliced in and serve you and all the cabs upstream.

In practice though, everyone is correct. It would not happen. BT could choose to put a cab there and connect that into the fibre but they do not provide fibre services to customers direct on their backhaul fibre.
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Mon 27-Apr-15 19:09:16
Print Post

Surely in theory if somewhere nearby there's a cab/fibre node, FTTPoD could be an option?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Apr-15 19:44:20
Print Post

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

In theory, but the order process (once open again) requires you to be getting your phone service from a cabinet that has a FTTC twin already.

The custom worked needed for ducting/or new poles to bridge two cabinet areas is something they don't seem too interested in yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Apr-15 20:26:51
Print Post

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

We seem to have lost sight of the fact the fibre in question is the exchange backhaul. That is terminated at the exchange on completely different kit at the exchange, performing hugely different functions, than that handling the FTTC/FTTPoD/FTTP customer lines.

There is no way a consumer line could be connected into it.

Edit - or a cabinet/some cabinets.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 27-Apr-15 20:32:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to