General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BrianC1
(newbie) Mon 27-Apr-15 20:09:49
Print Post

FTTC speed

[link to this post]

I've just got FTTC. I'm about 30 metres from the cabinet and getting 74/18 fairly consistently. Is that right or should I be doing better than that? I guess the problem, if there is one, is the copper from cabinet to master socket. I just want a sense of whether I have a problem or not!

Thanks all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Apr-15 20:23:31
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed

[re: BrianC1] [link to this post]

If the 74/18 is a speed test result then nothing to worry about

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Apr-15 20:23:47
Print Post

Is that sync speed or download speed? The latter will always be somewhat lower.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Tue 28-Apr-15 10:17:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by BrianC1:
I've just got FTTC. I'm about 30 metres from the cabinet and getting 74/18 fairly consistently. Is that right or should I be doing better than that? I guess the problem, if there is one, is the copper from cabinet to master socket. I just want a sense of whether I have a problem or not!

Thanks all.

What modem are you using? Is an an Openreach Huawei or ECI or do you have an all in one modem/router?

If you have an ECI modem and you are on a Huawei cabinet then the recent G.INP impulse noise protection roll out might have left you with an interleaved connection and a sync speed reduction. It seems something similar can happen with the all in one solutions too, but the symptoms vary depending on exactly which hardware is in use.

If you're quoting throughput then the best I can get with an 80/20 sync speed at 300m from the cabinet is about 76/18.6, I have an unlocked Huawei HG612 and can monitor all the stats. At 30m you should have a solid maximum sync I would expect.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Tue 28-Apr-15 10:21:57
Print Post

seems good to me...

I wouldn't be worrying about a thing smile

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
  Print Thread

Jump to