General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User schelc
(regular) Tue 28-Apr-15 13:12:28
Print Post

Speed Drop - Normal, G.INP or Plusnet

[link to this post]

I was lucky enough to get FTTC installed at the end of August last year. I'm on a long line for FTTC (Est 1.2km) but was initially getting 25.5mb/s down, 4.5mb/s up.

This dropped over time but seemed to settle at about 22mb/s down, 4mb/s up. Again I was happy with this.

Recently, say in the last 2 or 3 months, my speed has dropped to between 15-19mb/s down, 3mb/s up.

I've been with Plusnet the whole time, I have a ECI modem and I'm on a Huawei cabinet.

Is it worth me getting a Huawei modem to rule out g.inp issues (and get to see the line stats) or does this sound more like a Plusnet speed issue?

Any advice greatly received.

Colin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Apr-15 13:17:02
Print Post

Re: Speed Drop - Normal, G.INP or Plusnet

[re: schelc] [link to this post]

If the IP Profile recorded at the PlusNet has also dropped (or reported by BT Wholesale speed test) then sync has dropped and a test with a G.INP compatible device is worth while.

If the IP profile still fits in with the older 25 Mbps type speeds, then suggests throughput issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User schelc
(regular) Tue 28-Apr-15 13:26:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew,

I've just checked Plusnet 'Member Centre', 'High Speed Broadband' (is this what you mean by IP profile?) and it has:
Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account. Current line speed: 19.9 Mb

I'm sure when I've checked this previously it was at 25Mb.

So this looks like a g.inp issue and it's worth me speeding £30 on a Huawei fttc modem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Apr-15 13:50:44
Print Post

Whether its worth trying is down to you, but if getting the modem from that auction place then if it does not help can always auction it off again, or consider it a spare (lightning likes to kill modems)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Apr-15 13:50:46
Print Post

This is the essence of the G.INP issue:
In reply to a post by schelc:
I have a ECI modem and I'm on a Huawei cabinet.
So I agree it's best to get a Huawei HG612 v3B and upgrade it to the latest firmware.

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Apr-15 14:28:20
Print Post

I had a similar problem about 3 weeks ago. Had been sync'd at 67Mbps down and 18Mbps up and suddenly, at 7pm one evening, my download dropped to 58Mbps and upload to 12Mbps.

Openreach have had their faults team out, swapped cards in the CAB, checked in the exchange and can find nothing. Interestingly, when the Engineer's tester is plugged in and thereby bypassing Plusnet, the uploads and downloads are nigh on full speed which makes me think it's got to be a Plusnet issue surely??

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
My speedtest result
Standard User schelc
(regular) Tue 28-Apr-15 15:34:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice guys.

When I get a Huawei modem, is there anything I'll need to do to get the line profile changed or will it just sync at a higher speed (assuming this is a g.inp) issue?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Apr-15 16:24:58
Print Post

It should go higher straight away assuming the HG612 has the latest software - V100R001C01B030SP08. (Which is also available in an unlocked version).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Apr-15 16:25:29)

Standard User schelc
(regular) Tue 28-Apr-15 19:52:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Right Huawei modem ordered, I'll let you know if it improves matters smile
Standard User schelc
(regular) Thu 30-Apr-15 21:30:03
Print Post

So I now have a Huawei modem (unlocked) running the latest firmware (B030SP08), but my IP Profile on Plusnet remains at 19.9 and my speedtest returns a constant 19Mbs.

When I look at the modem stats it states:

Max: Upstream rate = 4361 Kbps, Downstream rate = 26984 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 3617 Kbps, Downstream rate = 23895 Kbps

Does this mean I need to do something to get the IP Profile reset?

What telnet command should I run to get more line info?

Thanks

Colin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to