General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drummingbob
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-15 13:13:50
Print Post

No VDSL Faceplate in new property

[link to this post]

Hello,
Hopefully this is a quick one.
I've tried every night this week to call EE and get to the bottom of the problem. I get 100% Indian call centres, who seem like they're being run by customer services people rather than anyone with any technical knowledge. Very frustrating.
In my last property we had a VDSL faceplate filter which plugged into the BT Openreach modem NGA ECI-CPE-MODEMS TYPE 1B and the EE brightbox router.
I later changed the Brightbox router to an ASUS RT-AC68U router and it worked like a charm.
Now I've moved and the engineer didn't install the VDSL faceplate. I bought an ADSL filter and have plugged the modem into that, and the router into the modem, as before.
The DSL light on the modem doesn't come on. EE say that it's all working fine, so I suspect that it's something to do with my set up.
My only thoughts are that the VDSL modem won't work with the ADSL line so I need an ADSL modem. I'm still paying for the same fibre service, which is apparently available at my new place, so I'm not sure why it'd be any different physically.
I cannot get any sense from the EE customer and technical services. Calling them the other day resulted in my new address being mangled with my old address. After the call it read:
1st line of new address
1st line of old address
Town and postcode of new address.
Any help is appreciated.
I'm going to dig out the old brightbox router to see if that changes anything. Then buy an ADSL modem. After that I'm completely stumped.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Apr-15 13:42:04
Print Post

Re: No VDSL Faceplate in new property

[re: drummingbob] [link to this post]

An ADSL filter should work without any problems for a VDSL2 service, and vice versa.

The Asus device should work on both ADSL and VDSL2 too, so if that is seeing neither signal then you may not have had any service enabled.

The engineer who arrived, what were there they for? Turn on the phone line, in which case correct he would not leave a faceplate filter, or FULL engineer install of FTTC, in which case they should have left faceplate.

It is entirely possible that a phone line was ordered, but the fibre or ADSL service is still to be delivered.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Apr-15 15:58:48
Print Post

In addition to what MrSaffron says, you are trying this at the master socket?

"My only thoughts are that the VDSL modem won't work with the ADSL line so I need an ADSL modem" is a very strange thing to say. Did you perhaps mean "with the ADSL filter"? If you did, then it should still work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User drummingbob
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-15 16:23:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your responses guys.

Yes, I did mean with the ADSL filter. From your response I take it that the line isn't inherently one thing or the other. it's the filter that makes it VDSL or ADSL.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Apr-15 16:38:00
Print Post

No. The filter is almost identical whichever service. VDSL2 filters I believe are slightly better on VDSL2 circuits, that's all.

Broadband filters just stop the broadband frequencies getting to and from the phone side. They have no effect at all on the broadband side - the modem sorts that out by ignoring frequencies it isn't interested in. (From the phone side because the fact there is a wire means broadband frequency noise can be picked up).

The line is specifically VDSL2 or ADSLx. Entirely dependent on what you ordered. Assuming no-one in the supply chain messed up your order.

Edit - you haven't confirmed you are trying to connect at the master socket, not one of the extensions.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Apr-15 16:40:51)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Apr-15 16:42:42
Print Post

No, not the filter. That is DSL-ignorant and could just as well be called a 'DSL Filter'. It's what's at the other end of the line that makes it VDSL or ADSL; either a Fibre DSLAM in a cab or an ADSL DSLAM in exchange.

A DSL Filter serves much the same purpose as the VDSL faceplate.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bit_bucket
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-15 17:17:01
Print Post

When we moved house last year, our VDLS2 service moved too.
Trouble was that when we moved to our new address, our VDSL2 service moved to someone else's house - about a mile down the road - who also had BT Infinity.

BT Retail said our service was working just fine.
So it was - just not by us.

Thanks to this b*lls up by - yes you've guessed it - Ned Kelly Communications Ltd.
It took nearly a month to sort out this "cross-jumpered tie cable".
To do that, they would have had to diss off the correct tie, from the other subs D-side, before giving them the tie that was supposed to be ours!

Perhaps something to bear in mind, but more likely a duff filter.
I would try with the BT ECI box first.
If that doesn't work, then try another filter

Don't go buying an another ADSL only router if you've got VDSL.

Good luck!

Lizzie
Standard User phil_w73
(learned) Thu 30-Apr-15 20:58:09
Print Post

Also, and not 100% its true?, but BT told once that ADSL needs to be activated on a line first followed up by VDSL activation after the inevitable lead time so maybe only at stage 1?

But, as I said - not completely sure on that smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-May-15 07:54:18
Print Post

[re: phil_w73] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by phil_w73:
Also, and not 100% its true?, but BT told once that ADSL needs to be activated on a line first followed up by VDSL activation after the inevitable lead time so maybe only at stage 1?

But, as I said - not completely sure on that smile

Absolutely no reason whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 01-May-15 12:17:09
Print Post

[re: bit_bucket] [link to this post]

Does the "someone else's" Phone Number resemble yours, by any chance?

--------------------

I spotted a Kelly technician about to upgrade my line last year, from ADSL to VDSL, so went out to the PCP.

He had temporarily connected a test phone to a line pair and had just dialled 17070 to get confirmation that he had found the correct pair to my house.

I arrived just as the initial response was coming back; and was the CORRECT Number.

The upgrade proceeded smoothly etc; and about 15 minutes later, I was on-line with FTTC/VDSL, only having to change to the new modem/router and wait whilst it went through the initial handshakes and identifications with the ISP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to