General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Fri 01-May-15 14:52:21
Print Post

New line & Fttc ordering.

[link to this post]

Moving to a new build soon and investigating choice of FTTC providers..

Anyone had experience of ordering new line and FTTC at the same time?
Any other advice?

I'm thinking about Zen or Plusnet at the moment.
Would go with A&a if they had an unlimited option.

Regards PGre
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-May-15 18:11:13
Print Post

Re: New line & Fttc ordering.

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

Ordering anything in a new build, where the address doesn't exist in the BTW DSL checker, needs a survey, and then needs the survey to trigger the right details to go into the line database.

My current line, in a non-new-build, needed to go through this process. Unfortunately, BT mucked up the survey, and put the wrong cabinet identity into the database ... which caused months of problems in getting the FTTC order to go through. It wasn't an obvious fault, only noticed when the engineer turned up to get the line working.

In the end, we swapped to a temporary ADSL connection, just so that we had *something*.

The moral is that you probably can order a combined phone and FTTC connection. But if anything appears to go wrong, consider getting the ISP to swap to ADSL as a temporary measure.

I used Plusnet for this. The ordering was straightforward through the phone, but getting the problems sorted out needed me to get decent one-on-one support from someone on their online team, rather than through the standard support phone line.
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Fri 01-May-15 18:57:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks.. The address is in the checker so that's a start but as there is no line in there yet it doesn't show fibre is available. I believe it is as one of the neighbours had the same issue.. Ie not showing as having FTTC but this was due to no line being installed as far as I can tell.

Still not sure if It would be Plusnet or Zen. I used to be on Zen in the early days of ADSL and had no problems. Wonder Plus net being a BT company have any more weight when it comes to issues...(despite the separation with the openreach operations)

Regards PGre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-May-15 19:03:06
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

I would say neither has much weight with Openreach, and that Zen business user support is probably excellent.

But they seem to give up very easily if there is an obscure or difficult problem on Home/SOHO lines, whereas Plusnet reps on these forums and the Community ones really try hard.

Throughput on FTTC may be slightly better with Zen. Gaming & VOIP may be better on Plusnet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to