General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Fri 01-May-15 19:10:14
Print Post

Infinity or Faster Broadband?

[link to this post]

So I am looking to change provider. I have been stuck with slow speed internet even though our cabinet (Crowthorne 19) has been upgraded for some time. I checked BT and they offer Infinity for a 12 month contract at £12.50. Sounds good. I then go ahead with the order - BT web page does the line check and says that Infinity is not available! However, they can offer me Faster Broadband which, like Infinity,is a Fibre product at the price of £21.50 for an 18 month contract. Does anybody know why a lesser product is costing almost twice as much for a 33% longer contract? Is there any technical difference in supplying Infinity and Faster Broadband? Very frustrating.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-May-15 20:10:12
Print Post

Re: Infinity or Faster Broadband?

[re: Fumbledore] [link to this post]

No technical difference at all. They simply don't market "Infinity" if the estimate is below 15Mbps. The reason for that being it (artificially) increases the speed figures they can advertise for it. (Which have to be based on actual speeds achieved on the product).

Your best idea would be to ring the sales team and see if you can talk yourself into a deal.

But!!!!

What has changed since this post/thread?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Fri 01-May-15 23:57:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nothing has changed - that's the problem. I did call BT to try and get the Infinity deal, but a very uncompromising lady just said that was all there was so basically it was a 'take it or leave it' scenario. I would have thought they'd have tried harder for a new customer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-May-15 00:07:23
Print Post

[re: Fumbledore] [link to this post]

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think Bob is linking to your previous post about the estimate to point out that your fibre estimate is slower than your existing service. FTTC does not perform well at long distances from the cabinet. You may well be better off sticking with what you have.

Print Thread

Jump to