General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 02-May-15 01:21:05
Print Post

Photos - FTTP or FTTrn?

[link to this post]

I'm guessing it's just FTTP but I've never seen it set up quite like this. It's a small village, and a very small part of the outskirts of a village at that (It's Kersey Tye in Suffolk if anyone wants to know). I don't know whether it was a BDUK-funded project or the residents there clubbed together to get ~10 of them FTTP - I am guessing they would have the cash. Anyway, assumptions about people's personal wealth aside, can Andrew/whoever confirm a couple of things with these pictures please? They aren't the best pictures because it was getting really dark and I only had my phone, so I've photoshopped the contrast and saturation to make them less impossible to see. I'm linking to them directly but obviously please magnify them in your browser to get a proper look. Or if Photobucket tries to show you a page-sized version, just mouseover it and press the + magnifying glass.

This is the bottom of a pole. I'm guessing the green box contains an array of splice trays?

This is the top of the same pole. What are the ...urm... black plastic bits which the fibre wraps around for?

Here is a better view of the green fibre splice tray/DP? Just down the road. No power warnings, hence my guess at them simply containing loads of splice trays. The yellow sticker on the pole says "Caution Overhead Fibre" - presumably a warning to poorly-trained OR people who might be expecting copper up there?

From what I could see, about 6 or 7 properties had FTTP from those two and a couple of other poles - but they're obviously planning something on a rather bigger scale? I've seen a photo of a pole with FTTP run to it but no connected customers (in Cornwall, on Andrew's site I think?), but that photo had existing copper. Here's a brand new pole which they've just shoved the "larger" yellow-striped tubing up, and nothing else.

Any info appreciated, I want to know more about all of this. I assume the green pole-boxes are to replace what would usually be in the footway box in front of a fibre cab, but as this is FTTP and has no cabs, they have to put them there? Also, you've got the location up there. I don't know if they can just take a main fibre feed off a spine (which I think runs along the A1071 nearby), or they'd have to take it from the nearest head-end? I think EABFD is too small to be a head-end (and SamKnows mis-locates its location by MILES, EABFD is in the middle of Boxford, as you'd expect, not Colchester). EAHAS (Hadleigh, Suffolk) may be a head-end, and I'd love to know a definite answer to that, but from watching roadworks I think this lot in Kersey Tye is probably "fed" from EASUD (Sudbury, Suffolk). Or, with FTTP, might they just run an independent fibre tube from "wherever" and then deal with dividing it up locally?

That is all the information I have, and those are all the questions I have. Thanks in advance for any information/answers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-May-15 09:45:40
Print Post

Re: Photos - FTTP or FTTrn?

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Quick answer yes openreach fttp my cornish pictures include live manifolds too, live when black tube exits from top

Not seen all pics as on phone but a curve radius has to be maintaned so may look 'odd' as drop tube to premises added when people order

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-May-15 11:27:30
Print Post

In the top of the pole the wrapped stuff is stopping the tube from being compressed where it would otherwise be squashed against the ring at the top, i.e. keeps the hollow tube open so fibre can be blown through.

Really need a postcode or something better than just outside Kersey to pin down the exchange

0.4% of premises in Suffolk County already have access via GEA-FTTP
83.2% fibre based or 74.8% at 30 Mbps or faster

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(regular) Sat 02-May-15 13:43:05
Print Post

If the phones are connected to cabinet 1 at Boxford then they will eventually be getting FTTP funded by BDUK. Some of the Kersey Tye area looks to be included much of it is not. If you are one of the properties you are talking about put your number into the BT checker here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telep... and if it says you are connected to cabinet 1 in Boxford then yes you are down for FTTP. If not bad luck!
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Sat 02-May-15 15:58:46
Print Post

Some further info for you, here are all the postcodes served at least in part by cabinet 1 Boxford so some or all of the numbers in each postcode will get FTTP as indicated in the box below in % terms.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1...
Standard User edwincluck
(learned) Sun 03-May-15 02:09:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by gazzyk1ns:
I'm guessing it's just FTTP but I've never seen it set up quite like this. It's a small village, and a very small part of the outskirts of a village at that (It's Kersey Tye in Suffolk if anyone wants to know). I don't know whether it was a BDUK-funded project or the residents there clubbed together to get ~10 of them FTTP - I am guessing they would have the cash. Anyway, assumptions about people's personal wealth aside

Very good assessment of the South Suffolk demographics. The incumbent was disgraced Thatcherite MP, Tim "yoyo-pants" Yeo. Even at the height of Yeo's philandering, he somehow commanded a 10,000 majority for the Tories.

A supremely snooty patch, and then some. We canvassed the constituency for the 1997 general, in a trusty Lada Samara. Our luminary was a stalwart CPB member; a retired shop-steward from the Wapping Dispute. Lovely fella; he certainly knew the enemy. But in that bumpkin-backwater, we were on a hiding to nothing. In fact, if memory serves, one beefy farmer threatened to shoot us!

South Suffolk: wasn't that the last place to burn witches? Says it all. That lot don't deserve the telephone, never mind FTTP.

--

Edited by edwincluck (Sun 03-May-15 05:11:38)

Standard User Jax2
(regular) Sun 03-May-15 10:19:51
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

Well what an insulting post to anyone rich or poor (yes there are poor) who just happens to live in South Suffolk! Completely irrelevant to the forum and the OP's question.
Standard User edwincluck
(regular) Sun 03-May-15 12:40:35
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Yup; plenty poor. We know the area well. Especially the gritty "overspill" estates on the Essex border of the constituency. The grinding legacy of Government policy from the 70s-80s. HMG / GLC cleared the ex-docker communities on the Isle of Dogs. Forcing distraught East Londoners from their beloved homes of generations. Planting them out in the shires, like South Suffolk. That policy articulated in "'Till Death Us Do Part"; it was Alf Garnett's chief bug-bear.

Those "slum clearances" freed up the west of the Dogs for building the new financial district, Canary Wharf. Ethnic Cleansing at its worse. Destroying and dispersing tight-knit communities and creating a multitude of new social problems. Problems which alas live on today on the "overspill" estates of snooty South Suffolk. That's why we were canvassing for your vote in 1997! Here's betting we didn't get yours, Jax2!

Do you think bringing FTTP to those handful of multimillionaire households in snobby little hamlets is money well spent? What about the high-density "overspill" estates in the same district? Don't they deserve it first? Any thought for the Common Good here? Wouldn't FTTP bring far greater socio-economic benefit to all those deprived homes? Their chance to gain real benefit from the digital economy? Just where is BT's FTTP roll-out policy defined? Where can we read about it, and who wrote it? Does the public have any say in it? Surely we should. After all, we've ploughed some £3 billion of public money into fibre broadband deployment.

BT Openreach: better back in public hands, like Railtrack? Oh yes!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-May-15 12:48:06
Print Post

Beyond the political ranting, I'd be interesting in hearing what this £3bn of public money is comprised of? That some does match up with of the amounts announced.

Standard User EddyTheDog
(learned) Sun 03-May-15 13:04:31
Print Post

The original question has been answered quite well from what I can see. Not too sure why there's a need for a political rant or the insults to a large number of people, though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to