General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 02-May-15 02:30:14
Print Post

Is this a Cabinet or Pit?

[link to this post]

I just noticed this pop up on roadworks tonight down my road and was wondering if this is a new pit or for a cabinet.

Build 1 concrete chamber 915mm x 445mm x 965mm deep in Footway,Build 1 precast jointing chamber (725mm x 225mm) 600mm dep
Damn roadwords cut off the remaining text.

So I am assuming (well hoping) its a chamber/pit ready for the fibre to be blown through due to its the side of the road the poles are on, and is at a junction of one of our side roads that has a fibre node at the junction the other end off the main road.

But I am guessing it is a new pit due to we are part of the FTTP Commercial Project which was confirmed by BT over the phone and email.
Your due to be upgraded under a FTTP (Fibre to the Premises project). It is estimated that a large number of customers will benefit from FTTP service in your area.
along with other stuff that I won't say.

And that we are going to get it soon, to be honest I think the FTTP Commercial Project has been delayed due to them being very busy trying to keep up with all the BDUK rollout, deadlines and stuff, so I do understand that.

But if its for the fibre this could allow for around 635 addresses to get FTTP down the remaining part of our road along with the remaining side roads that been sitting waiting just for the fibre to be blown since end of 2011 shocked, so fingers crossed smile

But knowing our luck so far, it's probably just for a new copper lines LOL

I might take a wander/stagger down my road (only 9 doors down the road) when its due to start middle of next week and ask the engineers.

*** update ***
Just took a look on Google Maps at that location and to me it seems like they are removing an old narrow and small pit down the road and replacing it with a new larger one like the one we have by our pole.
Here is an image of both pits.

But I will take a look and maybe take some pictures if I get there the right time and if my meds haven't warn off smile

Thanks

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 02-May-15 05:34:40)

Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 02-May-15 12:54:44
Print Post

Re: Is this a Cabinet or Pit?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Not sure. BT had this done on my road last year. I asked them, and they told me they were putting newer cables in as the other ones were too old.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-May-15 12:57:07
Print Post

Pretty standard size so could be for holding aggregation node or splitter node. Unlikely to be purely part of a copper improvement, unless lots of bad joints and upgrading the space to make future expansion work easier.

3 or 4 new areas seem to go live with GEA-FTTP each week, compared to the 200+ FTTC ones

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 02-May-15 15:27:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Andrew

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Pretty standard size so could be for holding aggregation node or splitter node. Unlikely to be purely part of a copper improvement, unless lots of bad joints and upgrading the space to make future expansion work easier.
Well the old one down the road doesn't have any fibre hardware in the pit due to it wouldn't fit unless installed sideways (does have the bottle up the pole though) and I think is the only one that doesn't in my area, all the rest have the newer larger one and also have the fibre hardware in there too.

I was thinking its to make space due to BT have been reclaiming redundant cables on the main road and now this, so I am thinking well more hoping that they are freeing up space for the fibre to be blown down for the remaining area that got partly done.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
3 or 4 new areas seem to go live with GEA-FTTP each week, compared to the 200+ FTTC ones
Well I see that happening in other areas but our exchange hasn't seen a FTTP install for a few years now and they haven't really completed those fully, but that may be just down to some issues that would of caused delays like having the small old pit etc and to reduce delays they put that on hold to work on other areas, and maybe they have come back to asses the area and to try and finish off some of them.

The way I see it I cant see them installing fibre down the remaining part of our road apart from homes from one pole due to the pit not being large enough to have the hardware in there, which is why I think they are changing it, then once everything seems ok, and only then the fibre may get blown.

And blowing fibre down for all this area at the same time makes more sense than to blowing fibre to an area apart from one or two poles that would have to be done later.

Thanks

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 02-May-15 15:34:47
Print Post

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FredTheB:
Not sure. BT had this done on my road last year. I asked them, and they told me they were putting newer cables in as the other ones were too old.
Yeah I was thinking this, but that pit is the only one in my area by a pole that is the old smaller one, all the others have the larger one.

That and all the reclaiming of redundant cables that BT have been pulling up.

Also that old pit is the only one that doesn't have the fibre hardware in the pit due to it being too small, all the rest have the fibre hardware in them, so I am assuming its to hold the fibre hardware along with adding more space.

I am assuming this was one of the reasons half our road and lower sides got stopped in mid install, makes loads of sense, no point in upgrading an area with fibre apart from homes on one pole due to a pit bring old and too small.

But like I said I will try and take a wander/stagger down there and ask them next week when they are installing it, might even take some pictures.

Thanks

Paul
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 02-May-15 17:47:30
Print Post

Damn roadwords cut off the remaining text

Try http://v6.roadworks.org/

I find it is better

Ian
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 02-May-15 18:13:17
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
Damn roadwords cut off the remaining text

Try http://v6.roadworks.org/

I find it is better

Ian
Yep that looks better, but still cuts off at the end in the exact same place, so maybe BT or our council's tool only has a set amount of characters for the description, I know VM puts hell of a lot of text into their description.

But yeah it looks better also the bouncing icons look nice smile

Paul
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 02-May-15 23:16:13
Print Post

I've just had one of these done outside my house.... it is just a standard distribution point (for copper in my case), it supplies myself and neighbor only..

Was replaced in my case as it had semi collapsed inside and had sunk around 2-3 inches into the ground causing a tripping hazard...

Currently awaiting tarmac replacement!

Best bet is finding out whether there is an existing one their or if it mentions any installation on ducting or polyduct!

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sun 03-May-15 00:24:52
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I've just had one of these done outside my house.... it is just a standard distribution point (for copper in my case), it supplies myself and neighbor only..

Was replaced in my case as it had semi collapsed inside and had sunk around 2-3 inches into the ground causing a tripping hazard...

Currently awaiting tarmac replacement!

Best bet is finding out whether there is an existing one their or if it mentions any installation on ducting or polyduct!
Well the last time I went past it it didn't look dodgy or anything, I am guessing where we are down for FTTP it would need to have the fibre hardware in the pit and the current pit is way too small for it and would need to be changed to a larger one, which I think might be the case.
It already has the fibre bottle thing up the pole along with the black tube with yellow stripe etc, its had all that since end of 2011.

If you look at this image you will see two pit/chambers, left is the one at the location of roadworks and the one on the right is the one by our pole and is the same dimensions as the one that is being installed.

As for seeing any mention of ducting or polyduct, don't see anything there, but that could be due to the description being cut off the end, so I can only see the first part.

Like I already said this is all it says on roadworks "Build 1 concrete chamber 915mm x 445mm x 965mm deep in Footway,Build 1 precast jointing chamber (725mm x 225mm) 600mm dep" and that's it.

To be honest I think BT is just changing it to the larger one like Andrew said, for future expansion easier etc, also our pole is the next one up from that one and if fibre cannot get to that section due to being old and too small then our pole won't get fibre due to the routing of cables, so by upgrading that should resolve that issue.

Paul
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 03-May-15 09:31:49
Print Post

Well good luck to you... I hope it is for Fibre Jointing and that the completion is soon..

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to