General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sl1
(newbie) Mon 04-May-15 10:00:10
Print Post

Self install FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hello

No doubt this question has been asked countless times, so apologies, I've been defeated by the Search function!

Would it be possible for me to run my own fibre from either the local exchange, or local cabinet, to mine and my neighbours premises?

Let's assume the physical installation of cables isn't a problem, but would BT be happy to accommodate the connection into their network?

Presumably this has been done before so any reference sites would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sam
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-May-15 10:04:30
Print Post

Re: Self install FTTP?

[re: sl1] [link to this post]

If you had all the appropriate accreditation, insurance etc i.e. set yourself up as an ISP and be willing to pay leased line backhaul type costs then yes possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sl1
(newbie) Mon 04-May-15 10:12:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response.

That route may be viable if there were more of us (depending on back haul & lease costs) but I was hoping for a simpler solution, eg my consortium runs the fibre to cabinet/ exchange from our premises, BT connect us into their network based on subscription to their services.

In effect, we would just be extending BTs network for them..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ruraldebugging
(newbie) Mon 04-May-15 10:48:33
Print Post

I would be interested in an official answer to this but hell would freeze over before you can find someone to give you a straight answer from OpenReach.

Having a similar problem and a 12 tonne tracked excavator I have yet to be able to get any sense out of Openreach who have the only local infrastructure. B4RN did it without using any Openreach infrastructure I believe.

The message from Openreach is "wait and we might or might not provide you with something at some point in the future, now go away until then".
Standard User zom22
(member) Mon 04-May-15 11:58:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

......and within Mr Saffron's list under 'accreditation' you need OFCOM granted code powers under the 2003 telecommunications act to even be allowed to dig/install cables etc under public roads/pavements.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-May-15 12:49:49
Print Post

Custom FTTP builds apart from in areas that are part of the FTTP on Demand availability are not on the Openreach radar currently - something to do with lots of contracts they are busy already fulfilling

Firms like Gigaclear will entertain you, if you can get 200-300 premises in an area with lots of soft dig and close to some existing commercial backhaul.

Take a look at the price of Ethernet services to your postcode from providers like AAISP if high speeds to just yourself is what is wanted

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Mon 04-May-15 16:31:30
Print Post

[re: ruraldebugging] [link to this post]

ruraln debugging you not looked hard enougfh or asked the right people-- see openreach FAQ's Rural Broiadband not on a plan
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 17:32:48
Print Post

I suspect your main problem would be the finances.

Or local Gigaclear network connects to a manhole with Vodafone written on the cover. I suspect that several fibres are used but I don't actually know. Gigaclear started the installation when about 200 out of 600 premises had signed up.

Gigaclear employed two contractors. Wingnut who dug hoes in the road and laid the cables, and Boxcom who completed the joints, installed and I think now manage the equipment in the cabinets. Terminating (joining) fibres is a slow process. It took two men all week to terminate the lines on my local cabinet. I would guess about 200 lines. Each fibre in the cable in the road is connected to a lead with a plug on the end of it. The plug then fits into the cabinet hardware.

Michael Chare
Standard User delone
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 18:35:24
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

Not necessarily true that code powers would be required. Either that or I have been involved in installing private fibre illegally shocked.

I believe you would only need code powers as a telecommunications provider (i.e. selling to others) which in this context would not be the case. That said the other difficulties mentioned would make such an adventure exceedingly difficult.

Del
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-May-15 18:38:51
Print Post

[re: delone] [link to this post]

You certainly can't dig up public roads and pavements at will tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to