General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Mon 04-May-15 20:59:19
Print Post

Different types of BT Cabinets. Why?!

[link to this post]

This has been on my mind for quite some time. Why do bt have different type of copper cable cabs. Why couldn't they all be the same? Were they released in phases or did BT just want different types everywhere.

would be interested to know

fred

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-May-15 21:02:52
Print Post

Re: Different types of BT Cabinets. Why?!

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

Because the network was built over many decades and designs change it that time

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Mon 04-May-15 21:09:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

really, where i live there are 4 cabs. Two of them look likethis

Then, the other two look like this and this

please note these were all built roughly at the same time!

thanks for reply though smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User unknown101
(newbie) Mon 04-May-15 21:16:06
Print Post

Over the years they improve the designs but the older ones will only get replaced if damaged or run out of space for more verts - the older ones still keep the insides dry so no point in replacing the shall.

Openreach are currently in the process of changing out the internal connections to a newer more water resistant version: https://youtu.be/2vapCCnNCz8

Some areas need the newer PCP shell to be able to be locked to stop theft of copper cables to/from the PCP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-May-15 21:29:00
Print Post

If your roughly at same time spans 40 years one is a bery old design, one was the plastic and one is modern current style

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 21:58:58
Print Post

The 1st image is I think the current PCP type, the second is the old PCP version, ours was the second type and has just had a new PCP cabinet installed about a couple of feet from it to as far as I know to replace all the insides as well as give it a new shell.
Now the 3rd image I have seen before but wasn't too sure if its a BT cabinet or not.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 22:00:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If your roughly at same time spans 40 years one is a bery old design, one was the plastic and one is modern current style
Strawberry or Raspberry tongue
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Mon 04-May-15 22:43:23
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Now the 3rd image I have seen before but wasn't too sure if its a BT cabinet or not

That's the cabinet which serves my home (cabinet 2, Danehill)

Thanks for all the replies!

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 22:45:21
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Modern steel shell, cast iron, fibre glass/ GRP shell (70's or early eighties)
A shell ( the bit you see) may be replaced at any time due to damage, corrosion or expansion
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 23:00:53
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Modern steel shell, cast iron, fibre glass/ GRP shell (70's or early eighties)
A shell ( the bit you see) may be replaced at any time due to damage, corrosion or expansion
Well as you can see in this image we currently have two cabinets, the one on the right is to replace the old one on the left due to loads of line faults so I was told.

Not been round there in a while due to health reasons, so the old one may of been removed, not sure.

But looking at the one on the left in the image it doesn't look that bad to me apart from the odd bit of rust, so maybe its down to all the line faults its been having as late along with needing more space etc.

Also if you look carefully you can see cabinet 39 across the road (just in front of the council truck) which is the same as the new PCP cabinet replacing ours.

TBH I prefer the old cast iron cabinet due to if a car hits it the car is worse off, whereas the new ones just gets squashed and end up half a mile down the road.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to