General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rento
(learned) Wed 06-May-15 08:45:00
Print Post

Changing modem after BT Infinity install

[link to this post]

I have finally got BT Infinity 2 installed yesterday! smile
Right now I am using the HH5 but I am keen to return to my own modem and router setup.

How long shall I give it before changing the modem?
I understand that BT "does something" on the line and modem to see how the line is working?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 06-May-15 08:54:46
Print Post

Re: Changing modem after BT Infinity install

[re: rento] [link to this post]

You should ideally change it within 24 hours of install before DLM is active. But no, BT doesn't "do something".

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 06-May-15 09:10:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I think by 'BT do something' he was referring to (BT) Openreach DLM.

To rento: DLM continuously monitors the line and adjusts sync speed according to what it sees; in particular how many errors there are. However, during the first 2 days or so it monitors but only makes adjustments if it sees severe errors. During those first two days the sync is as fast as it can manager (almost) regardless of errors. It is typical that the speed will lower a bit about two days in.

I agree that a change as soon as possible is probably the best. That way DLM will adjust your line speeds appropriate to what your modem can manage rather than the modem in the HH5. It won't matter too much, as it will adjust (maybe more slowly) anyway. once yours is plugged in. There could be a small advantage of keeping the HH5 for a few days so that if there are any issues you have 'standard' equipment which will help in discussions with BT service. Hopefully you won't have any issues anyway.

Be careful to power off any modem, or if possible shut it down, before disconnecting the telephone. Otherwise DLM is more likely to see the interruption as an error.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rento
(learned) Wed 06-May-15 11:59:50
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

It's nearly 24hrs since install... Can I change it now or is it too late?
I cannot find a power off button??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-May-15 12:03:08
Print Post

Pulling its power lead will do the same, the last mA of power goes to tell the VDSL2 it has lost power, and not a phone line fault

You can change at anytime really, the main thing to avoid is the usual tinker problem of you change the modem/router and then fiddle around for another hour rebooting everything multiple times, this may trigger the DLM and slow you down.

NOTE: The DLM runs forever, just that for most people it settles down to the steady speed within 24 to 48 hours.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-May-15 13:07:03
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I think it best to leave it "as is" until the end of the day after initial connection. In this case until after midnight tonight. As per the quote from SIN 498 that you gave.

There will be no deleterious effect on the performance of his own kit from leaving the HH5 in place until then, and I agree with MrSaffron that the fiddling that may be required in replacing it could cause a problem.

The same fiddling later is unlikely to be an issue as long as done with restraint.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User rento
(learned) Wed 06-May-15 13:36:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, I did it. It's gone from 72 to 65. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing or it doesn't go down much more. crazy
Standard User rento
(learned) Wed 06-May-15 13:38:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Doh!! Too late.
I did fiddle a lot to get the bridging working but did not reboot or disconnect.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-May-15 15:14:55
Print Post

What cabinet make and which modem have you got? If it's a Huawei cabinet you may have hit the G.INP problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-May-15 15:19:49
Print Post

The power button on the HH5 is at the rear by the power connection
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to