General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-May-15 12:33:51
Print Post

Query about BT Wholesale FTTC Checker

[link to this post]

Afternoon,

I'm looking to get upgrade my DSL connection to FTTC with Sky. I've done some checking on the BT Wholesale FTTC checker for my property and was wondering how accurate the results are.

My property is on a new build estate, built around two years ago and comprises of 67 properties. We are all linked back to the same PCP (Cab 4 @ Billingshurst, W. Sx). The cab is aprox 350mtrs from my property.

For my property and my immediate neighbours on one side, the BT checker gives the following:

FTTC Range A - 49.9Mbps Down / 11.8Mbps Up.

When I check using a neighbour's address on the other side of me (30mtrs away), I get:

FTTC Range A - 80.0Mbps Down / 20Mbps Up.

Why the discrepancy of nearly 30Mbps? I was looking at the 80/20 product but based on this, I think I may just go for the 40/10.

On my DSL with Sky I am currently getting:-

16Mbps down / 1Mbps up
23.0dB Attenuatation Down
6.0dB SNR Down

The line is rock solid, PPP session up for 16wks with no errors. smile

Here is a link to a screenshot from Google Maps showing the following:

C = BT FTTC Cab
X = Myself and neighbours where BT report FTTC speed of 49.9Mbps
N = Neighbour 30mtrs who could get 80Mbps

http://athena.tokenbay.co.uk/FTTC.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Current ISP: Sky LLU
Previous ISP: Xilo (via Be LLU) , Zen (for 9 years).
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-May-15 12:36:43
Print Post

Re: Query about BT Wholesale FTTC Checker

[re: aquilla] [link to this post]

The checker is an estimate based on factors that only BT seem to know. In your case and based on your current line I would suspect the checker has got it wrong. Have any neighbours already got FTTC that you could check actual performance?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 07-May-15 13:24:03
Print Post

The differences do sound a lot - it could be an error on one or the other or they could be correct. Do you know the EXACT route the cable takes from the cabinet and does it go near the 80Mb neighbour first and then how does it get to you? A quick check on the address checker does show a few oddities. Maybe you could plot speed against house on a map to see if there is any logic to it. I used http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

If you are really 350m away then speeds in excess of 70 would be a reasonable expectation so I can understand why you are asking.

Why not ask Sky if you can choose a 40/20 product and then once you can see you line stats and performance, will they allow an upgrade to 80/20 with no penalties except maybe short extension to the contract period.

edit to add:

You could also be on different cables from the cabinet - there could be maybe three or four run to the estate or maybe some houses are on a cable used to provide service to another part before coming through to you whereas the 80Mbps estimates could be a new direct cable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Thu 07-May-15 13:29:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ip75
(learned) Thu 07-May-15 13:33:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

One thing to watch with Sky is that the 40/10 product has an 18 month minimum term, but the 80/20 (Pro) product has a 12 month minimum term. If you start out with a 40/10, and then switch to 80/20 soon after (as I did), you will still be tied to the 18 month minimum term.It might therefore be better to start with 80/20 and get them agree to drop you down to 40/10 later, if you can.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-May-15 13:34:47
Print Post

The OP could be on a different DP which has only got paper estimates with no live feedback. That could explain the issue!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-May-15 14:19:32
Print Post

Would I be right in thinking you and the neighbour with the same estimate are both on Sky LLU or a TalkTalk LLU based telephone lines whereas the one with the high estimate is on a BT based telephone line?

If this is the case the difference is because the most accurate information is only from lines and addresses that have BT-based phone lines. The BT Wholesale checker has no real information on the others.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-May-15 17:04:09
Print Post

Re: Query about BT Wholesale FTTC Checker *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by aquilla
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-15 11:35:29
Print Post

MHC,

I've uploaded a Google Maps screenshot with all the house numbers pin pointed and also a spreadsheet containing all the FTTC (Clean) results from the BT Wholesale address checker for all 67 properties.

The blue line on the map is the route I think the BT cable takes from the High Street however I will try and check later.

http://athena.tokenbay.co.uk/Estate.jpg
http://athena.tokenbay.co.uk/FTTC.xlsx

Regards,

Stuart

Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-15 11:36:44
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

@ip75. The 18 month contract doesn't worry me too much. I'm more interested in the upload speed rather that the download so if 40/10 suits my needs then that will be fine but I will speak to them to see what options are available.

Regards,

Stuart

Edited by aquilla (Fri 08-May-15 11:37:18)

Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-15 11:41:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@RobertOS. From looking at the SSIDs being broadcast in the immediate vicinity of properties 15 - 24, the majority of them are BT Hubs with a couple of Sky ones. I know one neighbour (who gets the same FTTC results as me) is definitely on BT as I've been in their property and seen the Hub (don't believe it was fibre).

Regards,

Stuart

Edited by aquilla (Fri 08-May-15 11:53:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to