General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mark07
(learned) Fri 08-May-15 08:44:53
Print Post

Global Crossing = FTTC?

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

Noticed some roadworks going on right where my (work) local cab is which is to lay fibre into existing ducts, however the work is being done by Global Crossing, not BT.

Could this be for FTTC? Or just a coincidence they're laying fibre near my cabinet for some other reason?

This is the work being done, the other green roadwork icon exactly the same, I guess it's just on the pavement rather than the road http://i.imgur.com/MVyJ78C.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-May-15 10:31:24
Print Post

Re: Global Crossing = FTTC?

[re: Mark07] [link to this post]

Openreach use a number of contractors so this may be for FTTC, or it could be a firm has ordered a leased line/Ethernet and this is part of getting this private link up and running for them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mark07
(learned) Fri 08-May-15 11:25:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's what I'm thinking, there are a lot of businesses around here (Which is why I'm surprised we don't have FTTC yet!) so it could well be for a leased line as I've seen no signs of a new cab going up anywhere near the current PCP.

Thanks MrS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 08-May-15 11:30:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I would guess it's probably the latter. At work Global Crossing used to provide the fibre ethernet lines for our UK offices.
Standard User Mark07
(learned) Fri 08-May-15 13:32:10
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Quick update - When I went for lunch I spotted an Openreach guy down a hole (joinbox I assume) with a fibre blowing machine a bit further down the street, asked him if he knew if it was for FTTC or for a leased line but he didn't seem very forthcoming with information, or just didn't want to talk to me.

I did notice there was a lot of green spray paint just along from where my current PCP is though. could be a coincidence.

I guess global crossing would probably get Openreach to do the fibre blowing anyway if they're using their backhaul.
Standard User Icaras
(member) Fri 08-May-15 18:13:01
Print Post

The work isn't for Openreach FTTC. It's for a leased fibre line provided by Global Crossing.

If it was related to Openreach FTTC it would say BT on the roadworks site, not Global Crossing.
Standard User partial
(committed) Fri 08-May-15 18:13:24
Print Post

Won't be anything to do with Openreach or BT. Global Crossing have their own separate national network.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 08-May-15 23:36:37
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Global Crossing merged with Level 3 Communications which are Tier 1 Network operators. The Global Crossing reference on Roadworks.org is probably just the permitting details being provided to the local highway authority.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-May-15 11:33:59
Print Post

The presence of a lot of businesses, prepared to pay for leased lines, or already doing so, is thought to be the reason the commercial rollout of FTTC largely excludes business estates.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-May-15 11:53:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And the simple fact that if you need dedicated connection then GEA-FTTC does not offer that, nor does GEA-FTTP there is always the chance for contention over the openreach fibre segment even if an operator picks up data at exchange.

A simple high street shop that just needs email and the odd twitter/facebook upload is fine with a GEA residential type profile, but once you get to the video editing firm pretending it is in SOHO but is actually in a barn in rural Gloucestershire GEA services will not cut the mustard.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to