General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sat 09-May-15 17:21:11
Print Post

cabinet enabled but....

[link to this post]

just found this on the openreach fttc exchange checker when I put in my phone number. exchange walcott

"Your serving cabinet is enabled for fibre broadband however, from your postcode or the number you've entered, it seems you can't order it just yet. We are looking at ways to bring you fibre ASAP. Please keep checking back as we update our info regularly.
can someone explain what it might mean as I am desperate to get better than 3.5
bps (on a good day!)
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 09-May-15 17:25:16
Print Post

Re: cabinet enabled but....

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

how far are you away from cab

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sat 09-May-15 17:31:51
Print Post

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

using google maps show the distance as 1.4miles, the route google map chooses is the same as the cable routing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-May-15 17:41:09
Print Post

At 1.4 miles distance, you may well be too far from the cabinet for VDSL2 to work.

You might be a good candidate for ADSL2+ from the cabinet if Openreach ever launch it. They've talked about it, but it isn't a product an ISP can order today.

Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 09-May-15 17:55:16
Print Post

tough luck man frown BT are rolling out FTTP to be people who for some reason cant get fttc. I dont know if you are in the walcott in lincolnshire or the one in norfolk but the best thing to do is email your councils superfast fibre program; tell them your problem, and they should email you back!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sat 09-May-15 17:59:59
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

using the bt checker it lists adsl2+ as available also adsl2+annex m
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sat 09-May-15 18:18:48
Print Post

the better broadband for norfolk people told me that my postcode is "within the scope of the second Better Broadband for Norfolk Programme rollout. "

whatever that might mean!!!

as I and my neighbours have waited years for the cab to be enabled to have the chance removed as p*ssing us off
Standard User zom22
(member) Sat 09-May-15 18:36:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by FredTheB:
tough luck man frown BT are rolling out FTTP to be people who for some reason cant get fttc.

Really?
Well this is news to me!
As far as my county is concerned
1. No they are not rolling out FTTP to those who are too far away to get FTTC - they are being told tough luck.
2. There will be cabinets which even after BDUK and BDUK SEP programs have been completed will not be getting FTTC. So they will be getting neither FTTC nor FTTP and will have to remain on ADSL2.

I know of one whole village in another county where the cab is a long way away and the exchange even further so there is no point in converting the cab so it is being excluded from BDUK/SEP.
What the solution is no one knows or for when 'it' might happen but one thing is for certain: FTTP is not happening.

There are also many places in cities incl London who are outside the BDUK subsidy program as they are not rural who have dire speeds and are on ADSL2 for the foreseeable future.

Edited by zom22 (Sat 09-May-15 18:37:23)

Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 09-May-15 18:40:20
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

sorry, maybe worded it wrong. i forgot to put the words 'in some cases'

When they say in the scope of second Better Broadband, it probably means they will survey your area when the next bduk program starts in 2017

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-May-15 20:51:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by threelegs:
using the bt checker it lists adsl2+ as available also adsl2+annex m
They are services from the exchange, not the cabinet .

ADSL from the cabinet would remove the line length between the exchange and the cabinet from the broadband service. However, because of interoperability constraints, there are limits on what can be done using ADSL from the cabinet if that service was available for ISPs to order.

It's a little misleading to say that the chance (of faster broadband) has been removed from you and your neighbours. Unfortunately all forms of DSL have distance limits. The performance of VDSL2 starts out much faster than ADSL2+, but falls away faster as line length increases. 1.4 miles is almost certainly too long for VDSL2 to offer any advantage over ADSL2+ from the exchange - indeed, it might not work at all.

The available subsidy money was never enough to offer faster service to all. FTTP would be a possible solution for you, but the expense is going to be difficult to justify for a small number of properties a long distance from the cabinet.

I do know the area around Walcott, as I'm in Stalham several times a year. There's a reasonable concentration of properties in Walcott, but as soon as you move away from that area, properties are thinly spread.

Hopefully some solution comes along in the future that allows you to take advantage of the fibre running as far as the cabinet.

Print Thread

Jump to