General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User yogger
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 12:23:45
Print Post

New Connection - Could I have no t'internet in 24 hrs time?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

A fortnight ago I noticed fiber had finally been enabled in my street cabinet so I placed my order. Tomorrow (Mon 11th) it is due to be activated and to all intents and purposes I have no reason to expect otherwise; Indeed I received an email from BT this morning reminding me about tomorrow.

Except...I innocently went back onto the wholesale speed check today to have a nerdy look at some of the technical details and now my cabinet shows as no fiber (just displaying ADSL data only). The open-reach website has gone from AO to ES.

Anyone seen anything like this, should I be worried?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-May-15 12:44:42
Print Post

Re: New Connection - Could I have no t'internet in 24 hrs ti

[re: yogger] [link to this post]

Which details of which exchange and cabinet difficult to say a lot, other than maybe your order was for one of the last available line card ports. The devices do fill up and extra cards can be added, but sometimes the orders come in faster than the people adding the line cards can get around the UK.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yogger
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 13:26:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. It's cabinet 12 in Prestwick, Scotland (Postcode KA9 2HS will get you there). edit: It's included in the FTTC/FTTP up to May 4 page 2 posting pegged at the top of this forum.

I'm hopeful, after doing a bit of reading, it's simply that the orders have filled it up. It's one of the smaller cabinets (i.e. not the double sized) and it has quite a catchment area (though if that is the case I'm surprised it would have filled up so quickly; perhaps they only installed 1 or 2 line cards? On the other hand, I'm not surprised as our cabinet's ADSL2+ speed is only 5 - 6 Mbps). It was still showing on the wholesale website as available on Thurs 7/5. My order went in on the 29/04 and it would have changed to accepting orders within a few days of me ordering (I had been checking weekly laugh!)

Anyway, there's nothing I can do about it now, I just hope I don't get a call tomorrow from BT saying there's been a c*ck-up which leaves me with no broadband at all as I'm moving from Sky. I will not be amused!

Edited by yogger (Sun 10-May-15 13:36:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-May-15 13:49:53
Print Post

It is a wait and see, have seen cabs go live and then they find there are some problems so delay any more orders. Also have seen cabs go live but the checker refuse to show it and need a prod and correction.

The Sky service should continue hopefully.

BT Retail is not renowned for communication skills when things diverge from the standard pattern.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yogger
(newbie) Mon 11-May-15 15:36:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, I am on my fibre now! So either the wholesale checker is wrong or they've run out of slots. Not my problem now, evil grin.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-May-15 17:06:00
Print Post

Enjoy smile!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to