General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aza21
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 13:15:22
Print Post

BT Infinity - Pings Increased

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been on BT Infinity (76mb product) for about 3 years and up until around 4 weeks ago I had about 14ms pings to bbc.co.uk, it has now increased to 22ms.

I did some digging and I've discovered that the recent move to G.Inp could be the cause of this?

I am on a BT Home Hub 3 Type B router with the ECI modem, if that helps.

Does anyone know if there is any way to fix this? As an avid gamer, this is very important to me.

Cheers!

Edited by aza21 (Sun 10-May-15 13:16:21)

Standard User Kamarkis
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 17:13:39
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - Pings Increased

[re: aza21] [link to this post]

The only way to fix it is to buy a modem that supports G.INP, such as the Billion 8800 NL or the 8800 AXL. I'm sure eventually there will be firmware for your modem that will support G.INP, but when is the question everybody wants to know the answer to.

Edited by Kamarkis (Sun 10-May-15 17:24:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-May-15 18:50:59
Print Post

[re: Kamarkis] [link to this post]

Or an HG612 off eBay and flash it with the latest unlocked firmware, if it hasn't already been done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-May-15 19:10:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If the issue is g.inp at all. It might just as easily be an increase in interleaving depth

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-May-15 19:19:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In general even heavy interleaving (as mine was) is removed when G.INP is working on the line. As the OP has an ECI modem G.INP will not be working.

But you're right, we need the OP to find his cabinet and tell us if it is a Huawei or ECI.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-May-15 19:24:56
Print Post

As per MrSaffron's post and my reply to him, if you don't know your cabinet number or its location and type, please could you put your phone number into this checker and tell us the cabinet number given just above the estimates table.

Then go and find it if you can. Cabinet pictures. (Those labelled 128 should say 96).

Standard User aza21
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 19:42:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think it's a Huawei cabinet.
Standard User aza21
(newbie) Sun 10-May-15 19:43:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How can I check if it is just an increase in interleaving depth?
Standard User mabibby
(regular) Sun 10-May-15 20:38:37
Print Post

It'll probably be your interleaving depth mate....

Not sure there is a way to get these stats with an ECI Modem or HH.

If it's bothering you that much, get a HG612 off eBay.

PlusNET - 35/11 @ 1km FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to