General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 12-May-15 14:10:00
Print Post

NGA is being removed.

[link to this post]

Availablity date on BT checker is 30th June. Roadworks.org says my NGA is being removed. Is this normal and will they site it elsewhere? It's in the middle loading bay doors. Will they move it away from us or closer? Shall I ask when I see them doing it?

Edited by AAuser27 (Tue 12-May-15 16:15:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-May-15 14:20:24
Print Post

Re: NGA is being removed.

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

If it is having to be relocated and not live, then where it goes may take some time decide. All depends on what space is available locally and the impact this has on the cost of supplying power.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 12-May-15 14:22:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

it has space the other side of the PCP they are about 10M apart. I just hope we don't get the service totally removed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-May-15 14:54:32
Print Post

Are you live and using that ACTUAL fibre cabinet? It sounds like you are, and if it is moved then unless the new one is stood first there will be downtime, and would have expected notification to all providers.

Have never come across the moving of live FTTC

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 12-May-15 15:51:00
Print Post

Hello, No I am on ADSL because as of this time BT say the RFS date is the 30th of June. The NGA is sat between 2 loading bays with the PCP to the left of them. It's had a whack in the past so I am hoping they are just moving it. I guess they would have to remove the base and cover the pavement back up anyway. I can't find anything to suggest it's ever been live. No one opens a shop and says after 2 years of never opening the doors " oh well no one wants to buy from me so I will close again"

SO not sure if BT have even given the viability a chance. I will try and grab the workmen when they start which is on Friday I think

My friend had his cab de commissioned as he was the only one on it - they gave him some vouchers and a years free ADSL or something. That was a few years ago.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-May-15 16:01:04
Print Post

If it is not live then zero impact on you for now, but might mean delivery of final service goes to the back of queue as planning and request for power supply to a different point in the ground takes place.

As for a decommissioned cabinet - if you are able to provide detail that would be very interesting.

Cabs being stood in wrong place and council insisting on a move is not unheard of, have covered several before in the news.

Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 12-May-15 16:05:01
Print Post

I will ask my friend to write about it so it's as accurate as can be and then I will pass it on to you via e-mail.

zero impact I agree but I was hoping to get away from slow cable as 3mbps in the evenings is not acceptable. hence the ADSL but I wanted to upgrade that also.
Standard User somerset
(committed) Tue 12-May-15 18:05:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by AAuser27:
Availablity date on BT checker is 30th June. Roadworks.org says my NGA is being removed. Is this normal and will they site it elsewhere? It's in the middle loading bay doors. Will they move it away from us or closer? Shall I ask when I see them doing it?

Standard wording is eg. 'Description: Install 64m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,Provide 1 Provide/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)'.
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 12-May-15 18:07:02
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

Ah right yes I remember seeing that somewhere else. I will look out for it when this has happened and if I don't get to ask .

Thanks
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 13-May-15 05:21:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by AAuser27:
Ah right yes I remember seeing that somewhere else. I will look out for it when this has happened and if I don't get to ask .

Thanks
Like I said via PM, the following could either be a complete removal resulting in no fibre, or it could be a relocation closer to the PCP cabinet.
Location: (PCP33), NGA RELATED WORKS, SIDE OF H S S Hire Group plc 372 Chepstow Road ON HAWARDEN ROAD.
Description: Remove Cabinet and base (NGA cabinets).
I to be honest think its probably going to be the second, the reason for this thinking is if they have already laid the fibre and the cabinet was ready to go live then BTOR would loose huge amounts of money for the fibre that has already been laid, and relocating the fibre cabinet closer to the PCP cabinet would just require a new short length of fibre from the pit/chamber on the corner of the road up to the new location of the fibre cabinet.

As for keeping a look out for "install poly duct etc" message on roadworks you may have a rather long wait, the work to remove the cabinet and base is due to start the end of the month, and asking for planning permission to dig up the pavement etc can take a while.
But saying that, it has been known in small occasions for BT to run things side by side where they may install the new cabinet before the old one has been removed.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to