General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 13:17:53
Print Post

FTTP & Shared Utility Poles

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Our Village/hamlet is soon to have FTTP deployed to it as part of the Superfast Cymru BDUK programme with works already begun with the FTTP deployment rollout within the exchange area.

The current "copper" Openreach's infrastructure arrives into the village via a approx 1.2 Mile overhead run using carrier and distribution poles (which feed some properties along the way too). These poles seem to just have the Openreach "copper" infrastructure on them.

However as soon as the "copper" pair bundle enters the village the poles which carry the overhead copper pairs to the properties within the village are also used by Western Power Distribution (Electricity) and the Local Council (Street Lighting).

On some of them there doesn't seem to be much space to add more plant equipment/infrastructure to the shared utility poles.

Any ideas or from past experience know if the FTTP infrastructure/plant equipment can be installed on Shared Utility Poles or if new poles would need to be installed.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 13-May-15 16:58:43
Print Post

Re: FTTP & Shared Utility Poles

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

It may well be down to who actually owns the poles and if there is capacity for additional loading.

As I understand it, the electricity supply companies are now refusing to allow BT to add additional services to poles that they own - repairs can be done but upgrades NO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 13-May-15 17:23:27
Print Post

I too will eventually get FTTP into my hamlet. I had a long chat with the openreach engineer who was connecting up the fibre to the bottles (manifolds) at the top of poles and he told me that they are not allowed to install their bottles on a pole carrying an electricity supply. The pole in question only feeds one property so he said that would be sorted if and when the owner ordered FTTP and that the problem would be surmountable but would involve delays for that customer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andygegg
(regular) Wed 13-May-15 17:26:46
Print Post

Here, in Cornwall, they put in a load of new poles for FTTP rather than use existing poles with power lines attached. I have heard various reasons for this - no permission, health and safety. So don't be surprised if you suddenly get a load of new poles in the village.
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 18:40:57
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

Think Openreach are going to have to re-design the distribution layout in the village then, as in some cases their isn't enough room to add a new pole next to the existing one.

They have surveyed the village last year, then over a couple of days back in December with wheel measuring meters and clip boards and once again over a week back in February.

Hope it's not going to cause too much of a delay if they need to install new poles and possibly apply for wayleaves if needed.

Openreach have been installing new poles in villages in the same exchange area. New chambers have been build or replaced also.

The Chamber outside the village where the line appears from underground before travelling overhead ~1.2miles into the village had it's cover and frame replaced back in March.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 13-May-15 21:05:57
Print Post

OR are not allowed to add ANY additional infrastructure to electricity posts so if your copper wire is attached to shared poles; they will have to instal new poles or even ducts.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-May-15 21:32:59
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Agreed, no FTTP on JUP's.

Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Wed 13-May-15 21:46:43
Print Post

I am in a similar situation, small village which is down for FTTP. Electric and phone on same poles. We had a load of new poles installed back in January but no new developments since. The new poles went in really quick though. Each one has a planning notice saying that you have 3 months to object to it so assuming they wont do anything til that is clear. Just hoping no one is causing a issue.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Wed 13-May-15 21:52:38
Print Post

Many (maybe all can't remember) of the new poles we have are not immediately next to the old ones. The closest one to me is on the opposite side of the road to the existing.
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Thu 14-May-15 11:09:22
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Interestingly on roadworks.org, there is work being done next week by Openreach near the chamber on the B road outside the village (where the existing copper pair bundle appears overhead and starts it's ~1.2mile journey to the village)

The roadworks description isn't very descriptive though, just says
"Provision of fibre cables by Openreach as part of the BDUK Wales high speed broadband programme in the XXX exchange area."

The chamber is also by a rural Business park, which has already got it's own FTTC cabinet (active and AO for FTTC) about 8 months ago by Superfast Cymru.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to