General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scolston
(newbie) Thu 14-May-15 09:07:23
Print Post

New Infinity green cabinet....

[link to this post]

A new BT green Infinity cabinet has been installed in Codicote, Hertfordshire SG4 next to the normal BT cabinet (Exchange Codicote Cabinet 2) even though on the 'Where and When' website (http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/) our postcode is marked as 'PA'. Also, to the best of my knowledge, our local exchange has not been upgraded (https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMCI) but this website (http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcodeoutput) appears to indicate that Fibre Multicast(?) will be available from June 30th.

If anyone has any comments or further info on the above I would be grateful to hear them. Is it worth holding my breath for 7 weeks?

Thanks.

Simon (newbie)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-May-15 09:27:48
Print Post

Re: New Infinity green cabinet....

[re: scolston] [link to this post]

Bedfordshire project is planning to enable cabinet 2 by 30th June 2015, though dates can always slip

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scolston
(newbie) Thu 14-May-15 09:29:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks Andrew.

BWs,

Simon

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-May-15 14:43:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by scolston:
but this website (http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcodeoutput) appears to indicate that Fibre Multicast(?) will be available from June 30th.

The BTW checker website is generally regarded to give the best indication of plans. However, use of the "postcode checker" on that site is best avoided.

It is better to use the variant that uses your telephone number, if you have one through BTW.

However, it is also good to use the full address checker variant, but only entering the postcode. The website will return a list of addresses, allowing you to see results for individual properties.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-May-15 15:43:02
Print Post

Re: New FTTC green cabinet....

Just in case you think only BT Infinity will be available from it, that isn't the case. It is an FTTC cabinet and nearly every ISP in the country will be able to supply a fibre connection through it. "Infinity" is one of BT Consumer's products.

(I've altered the Subject for my post).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 14-May-15 15:43:34)

Standard User scolston
(newbie) Thu 14-May-15 17:08:59
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks WWWombat, much appreciated.
Standard User scolston
(newbie) Thu 14-May-15 17:10:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto and yes, I understood that. But I also believe (correctly?) that the 'other' providers will only be able to provide a 'direct' fibre service once they have upgraded their own equipment.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-May-15 17:16:22
Print Post

If Infinity is available to order, then 100+ providers are also available.

If its Sky or TalkTalk, then it can take a week or two longer for them to add the fibre handover link at the appropriate exchange, but in many cases this now already exists.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-May-15 17:18:46
Print Post

But I also believe (correctly?) that the 'other' providers will only be able to provide a 'direct' fibre service once they have upgraded their own equipment.
No, that is only true for those ISPs not using BT Wholesale and hence their own backhaul from the exchange, primarily Sky & TT. Zen uses its own backhaul for some exchanges but unlike Sky & TT will use BTW until such time as it installs its own link and backhaul.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Thu 14-May-15 18:40:06
Print Post

suggest you check connecting counties website as this sounds like a BDUK cab
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to