General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 15:56:23
Print Post

Placement of FTTP BTOR External Box on house wall ?

[link to this post]

Just a quick question about the external box (this box) that BTOR install and fix to the wall of the building that's getting FTTP installed.

Does this box need to be a couple of feet off the ground or can it be fitted the top of the wall just under the gutter.

The reason that I ask is we want the fibre installed upstairs at the front of our house right with the phone line is attached to the wall where we have all our networking stuff.

And to save having to install a mains extension to where the cables come into the house (i.e. Front Room/Living Room) and into the hardware they install and then running via a CAT5e to our Switch upstairs, I would really like for it to be installed upstairs, resulting in less cable for them to install.

So can BTOR do this, or is it just tough you have it where they want to install it.

Because we have a few spare mains sockets and a huge area of space on the wall by the window for it to be mounted on in our networking room.

Thanks

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-May-15 15:58:12
Print Post

Re: Placement of FTTP BTOR External Box on house wall ?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Cannot recall what the Openreach developers handbook says, the answer should be in it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AAuser27
(member) Fri 15-May-15 15:59:52
Print Post

No you have to take it off and put it on my house and then get them to cone to me tongue

edit "come" :/

Edited by AAuser27 (Fri 15-May-15 16:00:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 16:12:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Cannot recall what the Openreach developers handbook says, the answer should be in it.
I guess I can ask BT when the time comes to order, probably still got a little while yet

But I am sure the BTOR Engineer could be persuaded with a few cups of Tea and some Jammy Dodgers and Digestives smile

They would have to do that it these was flats here.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 16:14:04
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AAuser27:
No you have to take it off and put it on my house and then get them to cone to me tongue

edit "come" :/
LOL, I will limit the bandwidth to 1bps to your Network Cards MAC LOL.

Paul
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 17:41:07
Print Post

In my case that box is installed close to the ground on the outside of the house, as it is for all of the other FTTP installs in my close.

However, the output from that box is a fibre cable that can be up to 30m long that connects that box to the ONTE.

In my case the cable runs up the wall, enters the loft through the soffit, runs through the loft and then down through a hole in the ceiling in the corner of the upstairs room that I use as an office. The ONTE is fixed to the wall along with its battery backup and a switch. The ONTE connects to the HH5 and to my Dect base station and the HH5 then connects to the switch with all of my other network connected devices.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User AL66
(newbie) Fri 15-May-15 17:48:14
Print Post

The box (customer splice point) has to go close to ground level as no engineer in his right mind is going to balance the splicing machine at the top of a ladder.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 18:47:24
Print Post

[re: AL66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AL66:
The box (customer splice point) has to go close to ground level as no engineer in his right mind is going to balance the splicing machine at the top of a ladder.
Ah, I see your point.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 18:51:15
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

That would work as well for us.
I didn't think that they would run a long fibre cable from that box up the outside wall and then in through the hole drilled and then into the hardware.

So I guess I would have to explain this to both BT and the BTOR Engineer before they start my end.

But at least its doable smile

Now time to wait smile

Paul
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Fri 15-May-15 19:30:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I didn't think that they would run a long fibre cable from that box up the outside wall and then in through the hole drilled and then into the hardware.

That is how mine is, the Openreach engineer drilled the hole through the wall even though I offered to do it.

PlusNet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to