General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(regular) Thu 21-May-15 22:20:50
Print Post

Terrible speed this evening. congestion or...?

[link to this post]

I've had Plusnet 80/20 FTTC for about 3 weeks now and so far it has been brilliant, but this evening has just been shockingly bad.

Speeds dropped off a cliff and no most sites time out before opening. I cannot get TBB speedtest or speedtest.net to load right now, but earlier I was seeing 0.03 down 0.02 up

I have reset my own Linksys EA6900 router and the ECI Openreach modem but no joy, just them same rubbish speeds.

Occasionally I get bursts of useable internet, but 90% of the evening has been a total write off.

Is this issue likely to be related to a fault on my line or overall congestion on PN/OR networks? I have been unable to get line stats from the ECI modem, so if anyone knows how to do that I'd be very appreciative

UPDATE: Download speeds have returned to normal, but upload apears capped at 2mps: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4376904468

BT Wholesale test matches this result, however, it has my line profiles set as 77.43mbps down and 20mbps up. I'm hitting the down just fine but upload nowhere near the profile

Edited by connormill (Thu 21-May-15 22:36:46)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-May-15 22:38:18
Print Post

Re: Terrible speed this evening. congestion or...?

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

There's no easy way to get statistics from the ECI modem. I believe there is no known unlock other than one that requires access to the serial port pins on the circuit board. Gaining access to the circuit board requires opening the case, which involves drilling it.

If you want an unlocked modem, pick up a HG612 from eBay. You should look for one with 3B on the back and a white power supply. Don't pay more than £25 and certainly don't pay much extra for an unlocked one, as the unlock is very straightforward. You should use the B030SP08 firmware to unlock it.

Standard User connormill
(regular) Thu 21-May-15 22:42:02
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
There's no easy way to get statistics from the ECI modem. I believe there is no known unlock other than one that requires access to the serial port pins on the circuit board. Gaining access to the circuit board requires opening the case, which involves drilling it.

I suspected as much, having read a few forums on the subject.

When the OR engineer pulled it out I was a little annoyed, but he did say it was to match the ECI cab I'm connected to

For the record, here is the BTW Speed Results: http://imgur.com/gallery/Nj72h93/new

(When will this board allow embedding images!?)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 21-May-15 22:47:11
Print Post

Just to make sure you know your issue will more than likely be tied to congestion issues at Plusnet and not to the modem itself

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Sky Unlimited @ 4.2Km > Sky Hub v2

Edited by mlmclaren (Thu 21-May-15 22:47:34)

Standard User connormill
(regular) Thu 21-May-15 23:01:48
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Just to make sure you know your issue will more than likely be tied to congestion issues at Plusnet and not to the modem itself

That was my original diagnoses, however I am starting to doubt myself.
I am starting to suspect my issues are in 2 areas.

1: Wireless interference/poor performance.

I am seeing about 30mbps throughput difference between two sides of a fairly small room (about 8m apart)
The MacBook I am typing from now can see 34 nearby AP's. I am connected to the 5GHz band, which helps but I suspect it's not enough.

2: Plusnet congestion.

I *think* the 2mbps capped upload speed (which has now cured itself and i am seeing 17mbps) is linked to congestion in the PN system.
I can tolerate congestion. I'd be ok with my 74/17 speeds to drop to 30/5 during busy times. But no connectivity at all, and speed tests below 1mbps is not acceptible
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 21-May-15 23:07:49
Print Post

Ahh yes the joys of WiFI.... Try and stay on 5Ghz if possible the higher channels 100+ (hardware dependant)

Well my Plusnet connection has seen more upload struggles than download I must confirm, this evening my pings have gone crazy... though currently it looks like a congested/faulty link to Plusnets gateway more than a congested gateway itself.

If you wish to delv into this deeper next time then try an ethernet ASAP!

Unfortunately you would be better banging your head against a wall than trying to complain about poor speeds whilst using wifi...

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Sky Unlimited @ 4.2Km > Sky Hub v2
Standard User connormill
(regular) Thu 21-May-15 23:14:42
Print Post

If you wish to delv into this deeper next time then try an ethernet ASAP!

When i was having the issues, I had one WIN7 PC on ehternet and a MacBook on 5GHz WiFi. the results were as a near as makes no difference, so that's why I originally ruled out WiFi, until I started moving about the house.

My issues of WiFi congestion have been ongoing for a long time. I am considering getting a 3 Pack of the Ubiquiti Unifi ceiling mounted Access Points and deploying them all over the house so I can blanket the place in 5GHZ goodness.
Either it'll work and I'll live happily ever after or it wont and I'll have thrown ~£150 at nothing.
Standard User connormill
(regular) Thu 21-May-15 23:16:54
Print Post

Well my Plusnet connection has seen more upload struggles than download I must confirm, this evening my pings have gone crazy... though currently it looks like a congested/faulty link to Plusnets gateway more than a congested gateway itself.

So, I'm not the only one having an issue with PN this evening.

Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm glad you're having connection problems. It's nice to know it's not just me!
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 21-May-15 23:22:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by connormill:
The MacBook I am typing from now can see 34 nearby AP's. I am connected to the 5GHz band, which helps but I suspect it's not enough.
I don't know your Linksys router, but on some routers you can turn a band off if you don't need it- might be worth turning 2.4GHz off if you can (and nothing else is using it).

Might not make any difference (probably won't) but worth a try.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User connormill
(regular) Thu 21-May-15 23:24:59
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I don't know your Linksys router, but on some routers you can turn a band off if you don't need it- might be worth turning 2.4GHz off if you can (and nothing else is using it).

Might not make any difference (probably won't) but worth a try.

I do have that option. Annoyingly, however, a couple of devices I have are still 2.4 only.

And 2.4 is basically unusable here, the trouble is one of the devices is a phone with 16 months to go before it can be upgraded.

80/20 FTTC with plusnet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to