General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-May-15 09:22:31
Print Post

Possible to change ISPs when fibre cabinet is full?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Thinking of jumping ship from TalkTalk Business FTTC to Zen Business FTTC, but my fibre cab in the Highlands (NSICL cab 6) has no spare capacity (it hasn't had spare ports available for a while now). I'm currently on TTB's fibre complete package (80/20). When i called up Zen they said sorry, fibre not available i would have to move to Zen ADSL max premium first. Surely if i leave TTB that frees up a port in my cab and can be used to supply FTTC from Zen Business?
Cheers

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps
Powered by Asus RT-AC87R

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 22-May-15 09:24:53)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-May-15 09:29:03
Print Post

Re: Possible to change ISPs when fibre cabinet is full?

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Surely if i leave TTB that frees up a space in my cab and can be used to supply FTTC from Zen Business?
Cheers

You are applying common sense, always a mistake smile

Of course it DOES free up a port, but only once you've cancelled, so until then Zen cannot place an order as the 'computer says no'.

I wonder if it's possible to get a MAC from TT and do it that way, with your existing port reconfigured on the day ? I suspect the LLU voice is possibly a stumbling point too.

Someone cleverer than I will have the answer shortly I suspect.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-May-15 10:25:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I think this problem arises when with a LLU provider, maybe the fact that it's also MPF too ? But it should be possible to migrate the FTTC to another provider as no spare port is required in the cab in order to migrate providers ,you would keep the same one, as said would be reconfigured, remotely

But the line being MPF may cause issues with BT's ordering system , in which case TT should allow the data or voice to be migrated separately or BT needs to adapt it's systems so that commonsense prevails , no wonder why ofcom didn't apply the MAC system to MPF , all bark and no bite

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 22-May-15 19:27:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-May-15 11:37:03
Print Post

Great news! Have just spoken to a very helpful chap called Lee in Business sales and according to him Zen have just launched the process where they CAN transfer FTTC MPF customers directly onto their FTTC service with minimal downtime. He said the fact that my cab is full shouldn't make any difference. Now trying to find out if i can get out of my TTB contract penalty free as they plan to charge for 0870/0845 calls on their all-inclusive packages from 1st July. Apparently Zen have no plans to do the same smile

Powered by Asus RT-AC87R
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-May-15 11:48:18
Print Post

I'm not sure the order will go through - this problem has been reported several times on these forums, and it's nothing to do with LLU suppliers. It's the fact there is no spare port to be allocated to the order, as you said at first.

Once your port is freed, by a move to ADSL, some other order could pick it up before your new order does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-May-15 11:56:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not sure the order will go through - this problem has been reported several times on these forums, and it's nothing to do with LLU suppliers. It's the fact there is no spare port to be allocated to the order, as you said at first.

Once your port is freed, by a move to ADSL, some other order could pick it up before your new order does.

But Zen said it would be a migration between FTTC services, not a new order. So the fact that my cab is full shouldn't matter one jot, as nothing physically will happen at the cab. Apparently the process to transfer from MPF FTTC to Zen FTTC is a "brand new hot off the press" process just launched by them.