General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Fri 22-May-15 18:28:32
Print Post

New ISP

[link to this post]

looking to change ISP the ones im considering are below anyone any feedback thoughts

Idnet ...Pulse8...Aquiss.....zen....Aaisp

have BT-Infinity 2 66down 18up

I need a Static IP
No Slow downs
around 300gig a month

must admit Aquiss are looking good

Edited by ste699 (Fri 22-May-15 19:02:17)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-May-15 19:18:32
Print Post

Re: New ISP

[re: ste699] [link to this post]

I'd say Plusnet but others might take issue with the "no slow downs". However, I don't think you will ever find an ISP that can deliver "no slow downs".

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 22-May-15 19:21:42)

Standard User ste699
(newbie) Fri 22-May-15 19:32:59
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

have had a look at Plusnet business broadband because I do need a static Ip but have read about there slow down in the evening time

my connection is good with BT only would have to upgrade to there business broadband not really good feedback on that

Edited by ste699 (Fri 22-May-15 19:34:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AAuser27
(member) Fri 22-May-15 20:37:18
Print Post

I am with AAISP and they are great but the 200GB a month is to limiting on FTTC. You can have 300GB for extra. They don't count upload.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Fri 22-May-15 20:48:57
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AAuser27:
I am with AAISP and they are great but the 200GB a month is to limiting on FTTC. You can have 300GB for extra. They don't count upload.
Ouch, you can easily go over that even if downloading on a 80Mbps downstream for say 12 mins a day for 30 days and you have reached about 216GB usage frown

Paul
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Fri 22-May-15 21:04:58
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

from all the feedback on them they are very good just wish the download allowance was more considering the price

anyone any thoughts on the other named ISP

Edited by ste699 (Fri 22-May-15 21:20:27)

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Fri 22-May-15 21:56:26
Print Post

Zen seem a safe bet from previous posts on here and seem to have the best balance of price and customer service awards...

They also offer multiple static IP's without charge on their Fibre packages...

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Sky Unlimited @ 4.2Km > Sky Hub v2
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Fri 22-May-15 22:23:48
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

have to agree again feedback on them is good. just wont to make sure I pick the right ISP
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Fri 22-May-15 22:27:50
Print Post

Oh also Zen does 12 month contracts too thought I can't comment on some of others

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Sky Unlimited @ 4.2Km > Sky Hub v2
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-May-15 01:05:49
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Zen seem a safe bet from previous posts on here and seem to have the best balance of price and customer service awards...

They also offer multiple static IP's without charge on their Fibre packages...
Zen withdrew the ability to sign up for a routed IP block online some time ago.

Many routers do not support routed IP and it is increasingly possible to host multiple services on a single static IP, especially now that client support for Server Name Indication is pretty much ubiquitous. This means there are relatively few users who need and can make use of routed IP on an ADSL or FTTx connection. With all IPv4 address space having been allocated by the registries, ISPs want to make careful use of what remains of their IPv4 address allocations, because spare addresses are a finite and dwindling resource.

I suspect many Zen customers signed up for a routed /29 when that option was freely available via the online signup because it was a no cost option, but have only ever used a single address.

I have and use a routed IP block on my Zen FTTC connection at no additional monthly cost. My block was allocated many years ago. I started off with a free /29, but eventually moved to a /28 for a one-off cost after providing extensive justification for the larger allocation.

If you have a use for routed IP, you might still be able to get a new /29 allocation from Zen on request, though you should expect to have to justify the allocation by explaining what amongst your proposed usage cannot be accommodated using a single static IP address, NAT and port forwarding.

I believe Zen are a solid choice. They have unlimited usage broadband and phone packages at a relatively small additional cost over mass market ISPs such as BT Retail. They can provide service in many locations over their own backhaul network, meaning your connection is not subject to BT Wholesale congestion, though they will offer service over BT Wholesale WBMC in locations where they do not have presence.

All Zen accounts are static IP with the user having control of their reverse DNS.

Zen customer services are UK based. I don't believe they make any use of foreign call centres.

The major drawback with Zen is that they have no announced plans for native IPv6. This can be overcome using a free 6 in 4 tunnel from SixXS or Hurricane Electric, which involves only small additional overheads, though some IPv6 capable routers don't support 6 in 4 tunnels.

Zen no longer offer a Usenet (news) server, though they are far from alone in this. Even text only Usenet is a niche interest these days.

As has been said, Zen's minimum contact length is based on the minimum contact length of the underlying wholesale product - 12 months for FTTC and 1 month for ADSL. The minimum contact length for a phone line in a bundle is the same as the broadband connection.

Edit: tidying up the section on routed IP.

Edited by David_W (Sat 23-May-15 10:43:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to