General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Sun 24-May-15 21:06:08
Print Post

Fibre status

[link to this post]

Would appreciate it if someone in the know could look into my Fibre status..
Slightly worried as it has now moved to Under Review on the BT where and when checker. Superfast Wales still says they are working on it.

My Exchange is Boncath SWQCT, which is already live, I am connected to cabinet 2. We had a load of new poles installed in the village back in January, this together with what codelookup says suggests we are down to get FTTP.

Nothing has happened as far as I know since the new poles went in (think the fibre has also been run to the village, from watching roadworks.org). Hoping no one has objected to the poles.

Thanks

Edited by astateoftrance (Sun 24-May-15 21:11:05)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sun 24-May-15 21:52:15
Print Post

Re: Fibre status

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Well I know FTTP takes longer to install and can have more issues than FTTC does.

As for information, all that I could find is the following:
Boncath

This exchange is fibre enabled under the Superfast Cymru programme. The first cabinets are live at the exchange and service is available in parts of the exchange area. Contact a communications provider to check if Superfast broadband is available to your property.
And also this.
Work is ongoing in your area, but faster broadband isn't available to you just yet

You are connected to cabinet number 2 on the Boncath exchange.

The first homes and businesses in your exchange area now have access to fibre broadband, however not all premises can go live at the same time. Please register your interest and we'll keep you posted.
The good news is that your exchange has been upgraded to support FTTC and FTTP as far as I can see.

See the thing with FTTP upgrades is that you won't see anything on roadworks unless there is an issue that needs to be resolved like blockages etc or when they need to block off a section of area for safety etc, so just because you cannot see anything on roadworks doesn't mean nothing is being done, and your new pole may sit there for a while due to they are near the end of the line and are the last things to be done.

I have also started a search for all addresses for that exchange to give a better picture on who's got what, this will take prob about 30 or so mins to complete.

Paul
(experienced) Sun 24-May-15 22:45:40
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul, appreciate it smile

The BT where and when has us down as Under Review now, which I know could be because of planning issues which makes me wonder if someone has complained about the 7 (I think) new poles put in. This is in addition to existing electric/telephone poles already in the village, so I could easily understand someone not interested in superfast internet objecting, even I would see their point but happy to live with it for faster internet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sun 24-May-15 22:59:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
Thanks Paul, appreciate it smile

The BT where and when has us down as Under Review now, which I know could be because of planning issues which makes me wonder if someone has complained about the 7 (I think) new poles put in. This is in addition to existing electric/telephone poles already in the village, so I could easily understand someone not interested in superfast internet objecting, even I would see their point but happy to live with it for faster internet.
I cannot see it as being issues with the poles or they wouldn't of got planning permission for them in the first place, if complaints was made after them being installed then you would see work to remove them on roadworks.

As for Under Review, that could mean anything from getting ready to being complete or to having issues.

It could be that they are working out all the routing from the exchange to your pole to your house, and don't forget all the pit/chambers in between need to be all upgraded to a set type and have all the required hardware in there, that I think is causing our delay in fibre.

We are also down for FTTP and have been since end of 2011 when half our road got fibre leaving the rest on hold, we even have all the fibre hardware in the Pit/Chamber and up the pole, just waiting for the actual blowing of the fibre.
We have been down as Under Review since the Where and when page went live, so yeah can be very frustrating not seeing anything happening even though it might be.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sun 24-May-15 23:19:57
Print Post

Here is that info of what cabinet has what for that exchange:
BT Wholesale Exchange Information.

Exchange Name: Boncath
Exchange Code: SWQCT

Post Code: SA37, SA41, SA43

• Cabinet: EO
    • Fibre: 0
    • ADSLx: 6
    • None: 0

• Cabinet: 1
    • ADSLx: 323

• Cabinet: 2
    • ADSLx: 222
    • None: 14

• Cabinet: 3
    • Fibre: 171
    • ADSLx: 14

All above information is correct at time of 23:00 24-May-2015.
Seems to be a very small exchange supporting 750 connections, with 579 connections without fibre.

Paul
Standard User Nightglow
(newbie) Mon 25-May-15 08:37:33
Print Post

Poke your MP, get him involved, using my MP worked wonders for the BTOR problem I'm having.
(experienced) Mon 25-May-15 16:56:22
Print Post

Thanks Paul,

Yes it is only a small exchange, looks like take up has been very good where it is already available though.

Hope you are right about the poles! I have been wanting to change ISP's to cut costs but been holding out for Fibre to become available before making a move. Tempted to just switch now though as who knows when it will become available and I could always upgrade when it is.

Hope you get your FTTP soon!
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 25-May-15 19:16:31
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
Poke your MP, get him involved, using my MP worked wonders for the BTOR problem I'm having.
Well this isn't my exchange, also that exchange hasn't long got fibre ready, so getting their MP involved wouldn't help much.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 25-May-15 19:27:17
Print Post

Thanks Paul,

Yes it is only a small exchange, looks like take up has been very good where it is already available though.
Yeah, I have seen areas get their cabinets installed the same time the exchange is being made fibre ready, so "sometimes" its all done and gone live rather quick.

Hope you are right about the poles! I have been wanting to change ISP's to cut costs but been holding out for Fibre to become available before making a move. Tempted to just switch now though as who knows when it will become available and I could always upgrade when it is.
Well I think poles are better to have when upgrading to FTTP, the reason being is what would the residents of that area prefer the odd several poles or half the road closed and dug up.
Also fibre broadband adds to the value of the houses.

Hope you get your FTTP soon!
Yeah, me too, would be 4 years wait October, I have seen over the last few months BT doing some reclaiming of cables and installing new pits/chambers in my area and has some work due down my road over the next few days:
  • Build 1 concrete chamber 915mm x 445mm x 965mm deep in Footway
  • Build 1 precast jointing chamber (725mm x 225mm) 600mm dep
So hopefully this gets us ready for the actual blowing of the fibre, due to we have already had all the hardware installed since end of 2011.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to