General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TiMcW
(newbie) Mon 25-May-15 19:04:21
Print Post

Router/modem settings for fibre-to-cabinet VDSL

[link to this post]

Now that it is some time since BT rolled out their fibre-to-cabinet infrastructure in the UK, many like me might be thinking of replacing their freebie ISP modems / routers with better kit. I recently did this to replace two boxes (VDSL modem and separate router) with one box. Unfortunately it proved to be extremely difficult to find the right combination of settings to get the VDSL to connect and give me an internet connection. Neither my ISP (EE) helpline nor the helpline from the new router manufacturer were able to help, and certainly none of the default settings worked. I could get a connection, but the router would not log into my ISP. Eventually after days of trial and error and googling I found the right combination of settings and I am posting them here in the expectation that others will have similar problems and in the hope they will find it helpful. The settings may be slightly different for other ISPs and routers (I have Netgear D6400, ISP is EE (originally Orange), over BT's fibre-to-cabinet infrastructure), but hopefully it will give you some clues and you'll get it working quicker than I did. The settings that worked are:

Internet Service Provider: Other
Transfer Mode: PTM
DSL Mode: VDSL2
Multiplexing Method: VC-Based
VPI: 0 (however I don't think this setting has any effect in PTM mode)
VCI: 38 (however I don't think this setting has any effect in PTM mode)
Use VLANID: tick "yes" to use this and set to 101 (Important! It won't work without this, this was one of the settings that neither my ISP or Netgear seemed to even know about!)
Priority: 0
Login: Yes
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Login: as provided by ISP
Password: as provided by ISP
Connection Mode: Always On
IP Address: Get dynamically
DNS Address: Get automatically
NAT: Enable
Router MAC: Use Default Address

Good luck.
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Mon 25-May-15 22:33:28
Print Post

Re: Router/modem settings for fibre-to-cabinet VDSL

[re: TiMcW] [link to this post]

The VLAN ID 101 always seems to get people - it gave me an hour of grief setting up a Draytek that gave sync but no session - then I came across a post that listed the VLAN setting!
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 26-May-15 09:22:53
Print Post

I have a Bright Box 2 Router/Modem as supplied by EE in May 2014, in preparation to upgrading to VDSL 4 weeks later.

Checking just now, VLAN ID is clearly "101"; and I did not have to enter/alter that at any point.

So why the EE Help Line were unaware of it ... ?

-----------

Back at the upgrade, I simply unplugged its predecessor, BB 1; and plugged in the BB 2.

About 5 minutes of hand-shaking etc, then there was only the WiFi settings on various other devices - just thinking about that, those changes might have been avoided if I had simply altered the 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID and Password to be the same as on the BB1.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 11:40:09
Print Post

The settings you need for Openreach FTTC are PTM, VLAN 101 and VLAN tagging on. Some equipment will describe VLAN as 802.1q.

Multiplexing, VPI and VCI are all ATM settings, which are irrelevant to PTM. If they don't grey out, leave them at the defaults.

A fuller reference, including multicast settings for those with TV over fibre products, can be found in section 3.2.4 of SIN 498, version 6.

Most ISPs use PPPoE - use the individual user name and password they give you if they give you one. Some ISPs use generic credentials and authenticate based on the circuit ID. If you set the router to retrieve the IP address, gateway and DNS details automatically, it should then work.

Sky use MER, which is a variant of DHCP. For Sky, you need to configure the DHCP setings appropriately, including the authentication details that you've retrieved from the Sky issued equipment.

Standard User TiMcW
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 11:42:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The point of the thread was not to review helplines, but now you mention it, I can't resist!...

Netgear's helpline were very helpful, very well organised and overall I'd say excellent apart from the one small (but crucial) point that they didn't know the VLANID had to be set to 101. This setting was not switched "on" by default on the D6400, and though there was an "Orange" (but no "EE") set of default settings built in, that didn't turn it on either - as it turned out there was no way the thing was going to work without that.

In contrast, my dealing with EE's helpline was the worst helpline experience I have been subjected to. I rang them a number of times over a two day period, altogether I must have been on the phone over three hours. Naturally I never had the pleasure of speaking to the same person twice. One operator refused to take the call any further when he discovered I had Netgear kit ("I don't know anything about that router"). The next two I explained the problem to put me on hold while they "investigated", but after being on hold for about 10 mins the call just cut out.

The next also put me on hold - after an even longer wait of muzak and random beeping noises the phone was then picked up by a different operator who didn't know anything about the problem or the first operator, insisting that he was the first person to deal with the call, despite the fact that the call must have been transferred to him from the woman who had put me on hold. Eventually I ended up speaking to a guy who sounded Irish. Although the accent made a welcome change, the volume of his call gradually reduced until it became so low I literally couldn't hear him - it sounded like he was standing across the room from his phone - and eventually I hung up in a rage and a cold sweat, this call alone having taken about an hour.

The final woman I spoke to tried to fix my problem by giving me the correct settings for an ADSL connection. When I protested that this was VDSL, she insisted that they were definitely supplying ADSL to me, and furthermore, that VDSL was not even available in my area. I looked down in despair at my Openreach VDSL modem and EE's own router, which I had been using successfully for over a year by this point, and started to sob.

They did discuss some of the settings during the above farce, but not the right one. In the end I picked up a reference to the VLANID somewhere on the internet (I can't even remember where - it was late and my head hurt from me banging it on my desk so much).

Hopefully the next EE customer who buys a Netgear D6400 will pick up one of the references to VLANID on the internet before they have the experience I did. I've also fed back the solution to Netgear - I hope they're well organised enough to have a way of making it available to their helpline. I'm not going to ring EE to tell them the answer - my nerves are not up to it...

Edited by TiMcW (Tue 26-May-15 11:50:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-May-15 11:55:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by TiMcW:
I'm not going to ring EE to tell them the answer - my nerves are not up to it...
It might be worthwhile looking up their Complaints Procedure on the website, or better still googling the current CEO email address and sending him/her the bulk of the post I'm replying to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User TiMcW
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 12:04:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion RobertoS, after a few days to recuperate I might do my civic duty and give it a go.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 26-May-15 12:07:40
Print Post

Thanks - but to make clear to others, I did not intend my post to be or lead to a review of the EE Helpline.

Simply that the parameter is part of the EE BB 2 settings, so would hope it would be drawn to your attention.

Apparently fortunately, I have never had to use the EE Helpline (or predecessors) for technical purposes, only when considering upgrades, when almost alternately it has been very good or very bad!
Standard User spownall
(newbie) Tue 16-Jun-15 12:07:04
Print Post

Just wanted to say a massive 'thank you' for posting this!!

I have EE and after 2 dodgy EE Brightbox 2s failing on me, I bought a Netgear D6400.... I also had the exact same experience when dealing with EE tech support (not!!!) and Netgear. EE told me that the Netgear D6400 was 'incompatible' with EE fibre connections... and that I should wait for a third BB2 replacement - the last one took 2 weeks to be delivered and then promptly failed within 24 hours.

Anyways, back online now ... much Karma to you wink)

In reply to a post by TiMcW:
....Hopefully the next EE customer who buys a Netgear D6400 will pick up one of the references to VLANID on the internet before they have the experience I did. I've also fed back the solution to Netgear - I hope they're well organised enough to have a way of making it available to their helpline. I'm not going to ring EE to tell them the answer - my nerves are not up to it...
Standard User spinalman
(learned) Thu 15-Sep-16 19:15:05
Print Post

I am a VDSL FTTC EE customer... I run both a BB2 or a D6400 Netgear router.
I have used the PTM settings detailed above successfully for a few months. However I have upgraded tariff from 38 to 78Megs through EE and now I seem to have some coincidental problems on all devices, both routers and no matter what DNS servers I specify. Some sites load in the browser with a very long load time, often stalling and result in time out error. Refreshing browser (chrome and Safari) rarely starts the load again. Often the page will hand without any content.. for 8-10 seconds, and then load to 90% complete. Other site are normal.. this site is easy to post but the EE community page takes 30 times as long.

I get a speed test of 38Mbps very consistently and 9 megs up.. although the speedtest site will also stall sometimes mid-test. My speed should be >60 after upgrade but is still at the previous cap level of 38. EE tech support are clueless. I am not sure if it is a profile change that co-incided with the 38meg cap being lifted, or they have tweaked the profile.., or google DNS servers... who knows. The only variable seems to be EE. Nothing has changed at my end and I have swapped router/device/wifi for ethernet.

Anyone care to exchange notes on their favourite router settings for EE?

Edited by spinalman (Thu 15-Sep-16 19:17:45)

Print Thread

Jump to