General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MarkM81
(newbie) Mon 25-May-15 23:11:11
Print Post

New Cabinet Appreared

[link to this post]

Hi All

Last Sunday(Yeah I know must have been overtime for them) workmen started digging up near my telephone cabinet and low and behold it was in regards to fiber optic and last Thursday night at around 5pm some trucks appreared and on the back of one was a Green Cabinet.

Now there is already the same green cabinet at the end of my street so I knew it was the fiber cabinet but due to the recent bank holiday weekend no one has come back but what did give a horrible feeling was when I checked bt openreach site and the exchange has went from an "Enabled Area" to "Under Review" but I thought digging up the street and putting the cabinet there it has to be a good sign
Right?.
I have been waiting for fiber for a very long time as when Cable was the IN thing but those companies went out of busis or ran out of money they stopped just before my street(Unlucky or what) just really need some reassurance.

Thanks
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Mon 25-May-15 23:46:54
Print Post

Re: New Cabinet Appreared

[re: MarkM81] [link to this post]

What's your postcode?
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Mon 25-May-15 23:55:24
Print Post

Cabinets can sit there for a while with nothing happening, this is mostly the case while they are upgrading the exchange to be fibre ready and only then they start to lay down the fibre etc.

Well when they say an Enabled Area it most possibly is but as soon as they add a fibre cabinet to a area it then become not an enabled area due to that cabinet isn't ready, if you follow.

So you could be on Under Review for a few days up to a few months, I say a few weeks to a few months.

Also a postcode would be nice, and would help.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MarkM81
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 00:01:00
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

My exchange is Pollok in Glasgow and my Cabinet is number 52 the exchange is already fiber enabled for about 2yrs to my understanding and as I said in my post there is a green fiber optic cabinet at the end of my street which is not long and there is also one round the corner so all cabling has been done as I am 2 streets away from the exchange.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 26-May-15 00:16:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MarkM81:
My exchange is Pollok in Glasgow and my Cabinet is number 52 the exchange is already fiber enabled for about 2yrs to my understanding and as I said in my post there is a green fiber optic cabinet at the end of my street which is not long and there is also one round the corner so all cabling has been done as I am 2 streets away from the exchange.
Ok, well your Exchange was fibre ready back in around 2011 I think.
The cabinet may not be ready yet and may require the actual cables and power.

Once that's done they do some tests on it and if they are happy it then goes live.

I have the following from the BDUK Scot site:
Glasgow Pollok

Fibre broadband is currently available to some premises in this area.

Digital Scotland plans to extend fibre broadband coverage in this area. Work under the Digital Scotland programme means that additional premises in this area are currently expected to receive fibre broadband by the end of June 2015. Service availability is subject to available service provider product offerings and can be affected by technology constraints specific to individual circumstances. For more information and to order fibre broadband services check with your Internet Service Provider or look on the Ofcom price comparison site http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio/price-compari... .
And
Your exchange is accepting orders but fibre broadband isn't available to you yet.

You are connected to cabinet number 52 on Glasgow Pollok exchange.

The first homes and businesses in your exchange area now have access to fibre broadband, however not all premises can go live at the same time.

You can find out more about when additional premises are likely to be enabled under the Digital Scotland Superfast Broadband programme by clicking on the coloured area of the map that your home or business is in If you have entered your postcode, click on the area around the pin that shows your location.

If you would like us to contact you when fibre broadband becomes available in your postcode area or to receive a copy of our regular newsletter, register your details here.
Granted its not that much of info, but that's all that I could find.

Paul
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 00:19:31
Print Post

On the codelook site

Cabinet P52 FTTC Planned (exchange ready 21st November 2014) Phase BDUK Scot Government 14a Huawei G42 8NH

So you're definitely getting FTTC and the cabinet being installed is clearly a good sign. Now though it's just a case of waiting for it to be enabled.
Standard User MarkM81
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 00:42:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thank You very much for the info
Standard User MarkM81
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 00:45:24
Print Post

[re: digitalis] [link to this post]

Good News then I think I can wait a little longer activity around the cabinet is a good sign better than nothing being done.

Thank You all for the information glad I found this site
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 26-May-15 09:33:58
Print Post

For several months, VDSL was showing an RFS of 30th May 2014.

Actual work started in November 2013, being completed apparently by late March 2015, as I discovered later.

I ordered the FTTC/VDSL Upgrade on 18th May 2014; and the actual upgrade occurred on 4th June 2014.

===================

Although the FTTC Back Plane in this cabinet can take 288 lines, only 48 Filter Links were installed initially, in March 2014.

Another 48 Links were added in April 2015, so relatively slow uptake - but in line with BT OR averages.

However, with your being in Pollok, the demand may be higher, so get your order in early.
  Print Thread

Jump to