General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 26-May-15 21:04:43
Print Post

When is a Cabinet both Live & Not

[link to this post]

We're looking into a new build property in Weeton, Lancashire, cabinet 4 LCWEE exchange. When I enter the postcode PR43NQ, 3 The Laurels I get cabinet 4 no availability yet when I put in the postcode for the next street PR43ND I get cabinet 4 and 80mb availability.

My question to the great and good is how can I have a cabinet giving 2 quite opposite results? Interestingly cab4 shows on Andrew's latest info sheet - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4410771-new... - could this be important or relevant.

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 21:56:30
Print Post

Re: When is a Cabinet both Live & Not

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

No availability yet when new service is available to other properties on the same cabinet often indicates that the length of cabling between the cabinet and the distribution point near the property is too long to support a reliable FTTC service. It is important to remember that the cables do not necessarily take the shortest route over the ground.

Does the message say something about continuing to explore solutions? If so, this suggests my interpretation is correct. The possible solution is presumably the possible ADSL2+ from the cabinet service mentioned in some Openreach documentation but about which Openreach are still being very coy.

As this is a new build, there is also the possibility of a database error.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-May-15 22:03:50
Print Post

Things may sort themselves out in a few days, do phone number checks give same results

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Embraer
(member) Tue 26-May-15 22:49:10
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Hope distance isn't an issue as the village is very small - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4916299/Weeton%2...

The development is where the pink pin is dropped - PR43NQ
PR43ND is the street directly behind - Knowsley Crescent

Other postcode/roads are as follows for the village

PR4 3BZ - UR - St Michaels Close
PR4 3NQ - UR - The Laurels (Jones Homes New Builds)
PR4 3PD - AO - The Close
PR4 3WD - AO - Church Road
PR4 3PR - AO - Briarwood Close
PR4 3NB - AO - Hill Crest Farm (West Of Development on Mythop Rd)
PR4 3NB - AO - Elm Tree Cottage (Corner Of St Michaels Close)
PR4 3NB - AO - Site Office Jones Homes Site! Jones-Homes.co.uk

The cabinet as far as I can figure is next to the shack (could be the exchange) where it says Kirkham Road

ELC don't appear to be answering emails anymore, is there anybody within the organisation who might be able to explain this?

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity

Edited by Embraer (Tue 26-May-15 23:10:23)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-15 00:35:12
Print Post

The BT Wholesale checker is not showing the message about continuing to explore solutions that typically signifies D side cable length too long for reliable FTTC.

The information on a fairly well known third party site that we tend be a little coy about repeating the address of in this forum (as it is a useful source of information and BT Group might force it to disappear if it becomes too prominent) indicates that the exchange appears to be where you say, and suggests the cabinet 4 is close to the exchange location, in which case it may well be a rearrangement of former exchange only lines in order to provide FTTC. If the data is correct, cabinet 4 is a relatively recent upgrade under the local BDUK project, further suggesting the problem you are seeing is a database issue.

It would have to be completely bonkers cable routing to go from 80Mbit/s to out of range between Knowsley Crescent and the pink pin. If I had to guess at the most likely cable route, I'd say that it probably runs along Mythop Road back to the cabinet, making St Michael's Close and especially Hill Crest Farm (being further west along Mythop Road) a better guide than Knowsley Crescent. However, what seems logical from an aerial photo might be very different to the duct work on the ground!

If this doesn't correct itself in a few days, I'd start by making enquiries with some of the more high end ISPs, who have sometimes succeeded in getting database issues corrected. Failing that, maybe MrSaffron can give you some pointers on who to chase.

Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 27-May-15 08:41:03
Print Post

Cheers for the response. I'll keep tabs on the checker for the next week or so and email Andrew if nothing appears to be moving. That cable route could lap the village 3 times and still be in range of FTTC!

Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 27-May-15 15:45:39
Print Post

I wonder how accurate that site we don't mention is?
I have examples where one number is shown on that site as on one PCP and yet in reality its not (both local knowledge and the BT checker).

I wonder how and who updates it.. anyone know ?

Regards PGre
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-15 16:39:21
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

Details of sources and their dates are given on the home page.
Currently:
Magenta Telecom SQL Database, Version 1.2
Creation Date: 20th May 2015
Source: Ofcom CodeList numbering database dated 20th May 2015
Source: BT Electronic Price List dated 20th May 2015
Source: BT Wholesale broadband datasets dated February 2015

Note the date of the BTW dataset, it's relatively old.
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Thu 28-May-15 09:53:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Ah.. yes thanks.
Didn't have a link to the home so only spotted the DB updated date.. which was relatively up to date.

So lets see if the BTW gets updated sometime soon.

Regards PGre
Standard User Embraer
(member) Thu 28-May-15 15:32:08
Print Post

**UPDATE** - Re: When is a Cabinet both Live & Not

UPDATE

Can't fault ELC. They got in touch with Openreach after a speculative email I sent to the BT CEO got forwarded to them. Openreach admitted a database hadn't been updated correctly and BT Infinity website is now offering 50-69mb for the postcode on their site

Edited by Embraer (Thu 28-May-15 15:32:47)

Print Thread

Jump to