General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ratteryman
(newbie) Tue 26-May-15 22:08:52
Print Post

Confused of rural Somerset

[link to this post]

Sitrep:
Exchange is Meare Heath. Lots of activity along the B3151 between Glastonbury and Westhay in recent months: trenches, people feeding cable-type materials down holes in the road, etc. Most recently blokes (usually) working outside the actual exchange. Shiny new green cabs outside the exchange and on the corner of Back Lane Westhay, about 200 yards from home (BA6 9TS). No flashy stickers on the green cabs (unlike in Wells where they are plastered on every new cab in town).
Now:
1. BT's checker says fibre is up and running to me.
2. TalkTalk (my current provider) says it isn't.
3. Devon & Somerset connection website suggests Meare Heath 1 is Live. But the map suggests Meare itself (where the exchange is) is "under evaluation". Bizarrely, the map shows us as contiguous (and 'live') with places to the west like Burtle and Catcott which I know are 01278 (Bridgwater) numbers.

So I am confused. Is there a reliable way of knowing whether my cab is live or not. And how can I find out which companies will offer FTTC to my house?
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 23:11:08
Print Post

Re: Confused of rural Somerset

[re: ratteryman] [link to this post]

1)If the BT wholesale adsl checker says FTTC is available then it is, have you tried to order with one of the BT wholesale based isp's such as BT retail/Plus Net/EE etc.

2) TT/Sky have to order a link which can delay orders for a few weeks but its likely your cab will link back to a larger parent exchange where TT/Sky llu will be present- so perhaps just a delay until it appears on their systems.

3) County mapping can be a bit slow to update- its not uncommon to go from under evaluation to live.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User Nightglow
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 08:04:44
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

See this link for your cabinet, not sure how quick it's updated.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-May-15 08:56:25
Print Post

[re: ratteryman] [link to this post]

Ignore the maps

Cabinet went live around 4th April 2015 and given size of exchange no surprise to find LLU operators not providing service, i.e. single cabinet exchange plus some EO lines, which explains the work outside the exchange.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to