General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 27-May-15 13:09:53
Print Post

Fibre Modem Advise

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just gone live with FTTC from Plus net and am having some trouble.

I have connected an Airport Extreme to the BT Openreach modem but it is having frequent disconnections. Some testing has ruled out a line fault but from reading around it seems the Airport Extreme isn't great with PPPoE connections. Maybe someone here has some more info on this sort of setup and can give some advise.

In the mean time, could someone point me in the direction of a product I can use to create the PPPoE connection connected to the Openreach Modem so I can then use the Airport Extreme in DCHP mode for all routing/wireless functionality?

Sorry if I've not been very clear, I'm not 100% on what I am looking for.

Thanks

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-May-15 13:30:52
Print Post

Re: Fibre Modem Advise

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

If you have a Huawei HG612 modem, you could use that to do the PPPOE and bridge the connection to the Apple Airport Extreme. Alternatively, you could use a Billion 8800NL to do the same http://billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 27-May-15 13:32:41)

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 27-May-15 13:57:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advise. Is there a guide for configuring the Huwei modem?

Post Office ADSL 4mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-May-15 14:12:03
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Re: Configure HG612 so it handles the PPPOE but remains bridged

Hi there
I don't know if anyone is still interested. I thought I would bump this topic anyway, as this IP spoofing feature is working correctly for me.

After enabling DHCP spoofing in the WAN section, you also need to enable the DHCP server in the LAN section.

Set "WAN-side address allocation mode" to Passthrough and associated connection to ptm1.101. DHCP port transparent transmission should be disabled. You can leave the MAC section blank or add the router's WAN interface's MAC address.

After this is done correctly, the router, PC or whatever, should be given the ISP assigned IP address inside a fake /24 subnet, with HG612's IP as the gateway.

eg
HG612/default gateway - 192.168.0.1
WAN IP - 84.65.65.200
subnet - 255.255.255.0

Using a PC, this seemed to work ok in Linux. However my router (ddwrt software, busybox udhcpc) didn't work with this, as the HG612 is using an IP outside of the assigned network's subnet. You must manually add a route to the HG612 and then set it as the default gateway, which is a nuisance. However, a quick workaround is to give the HG612 an IP inside this fake subnet. If you have a static/sticky IP then it can work as a long term solution.

HG612/default gateway - 84.65.65.1
WAN IP - 84.65.65.200
subnet - 255.255.255.0

Now the router doesn't have to guess where the gateway is. This method will definitely work fine on all routers. You won't need to set up PPPOE any more or use DMZ
  Print Thread

Jump to